is RHadoop free

javid

Nov 25, 2013, 6:06:16 AM11/25/13
to rha...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

Can anyone help me out for my query.

Is RHadoop open source? i have seen in some websites RHadoop is open source but RHadoop package are Commercial is this correct?

Please provide me ur valuable inputs.

Regards,
Javid

Antonio Piccolboni

Nov 25, 2013, 2:09:24 PM11/25/13
to RHadoop Google Group
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 3:06 AM, javid <javi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi ,

Can anyone help me out for my query.

Is RHadoop open source?

Rhadoop is a project, so it can't be open source in a strict sense, but every package that has been developed as part of the activities of the project is Apache 2.0 licensed, that is open source by most standards. So by extension we say it's an open source project, which a little stretching the definition but most people understand it correctly.

i have seen in some websites RHadoop is open source but RHadoop package are Commercial is this correct?

Not sure what this means and in any event "read on some websites" is a very low standard of evidence, not very far from "completely made up" or "random".

Please provide me ur valuable inputs.

There is an Apache 2.0 license at the beginning of every source code file in each package that's part of RHadoop -- if I forgot one, please let me know. If that's not enough evidence, we don't know what else would be. If what the unnamed critics have in mind is that we should carry a GPL3 or some such, that's really not on the table given that we need to fit in with the rest of the Hadoop ecosystem. If what the unnamed critics are referring to is that the copyright owner of the project is a commercial entity, which is correct, I don't think that has any impact on a RHadoop user. Said commercial entity could change the licensing of future versions, but can't retroactively take away what as been licensed already. That's my understanding of the Apache license, but you may want to check with a lawyer since I am not one.  From the point of view of a contributor, it may irk some that they have to transfer copyright to Revolution, but their contributions are immediately released under the Apache 2.0 license, so Revolution can not take it away from the community. What they could do, at least to the best of my understanding, is releasing a future version of a package under a different and potentially proprietary license. In that case somebody would fork the last open source version and continue development, if there is any value in the project. I hope this settles the subject: I am more interested in talking about applications than countering some FUD posted on some unnamed websites.

Antonio

Regards,
Javid

--