Install RGeo with PROJ4 support on Windows?

John McCarty

Nov 2, 2016, 6:11:21 PM11/2/16
to RGeo-Users
Does anyone have any advice regarding installing RGeo with PROJ4 on Windows?
Do I have to completely build and install Proj4 from source on the machine first?  or can I someone just point me to where I can find the needed header files, etc, etc so that the build will include Proj4 when RGeo is built?

(Id rather not have to work in a Windows environment... prefer Ubuntu, where things "just work" like they're supposed to... but this project requires that I use Windows, so... )

John McCarty

Nov 3, 2016, 5:13:40 PM11/3/16
to RGeo-Users
So I built PROJ4 from source on the Windows machine...  output was sent to C:\special\proj4....  which contains the following folders:
bin
include
lib
share

Everything seems to be good there...
Trying to install RGeo and specifying the location of PROJ4, using this:
gem install rgeo -- --with-proj-dir=C:\special\proj4

The gem installs no problem, but it's like it didnt even try to do anything with PROJ4....
and "RGeo::CoordSys::Proj4.supported?" returns false.

So I'm left wondering where I went wrong here...  what must be done to get RGeo installed WITH proj4 on Windoze?

thanks in advance for any suggestions...  I need to get this working soon.