scanning with markers seems to be off center

Doug LaRue

Jul 21, 2015, 11:38:44 PM7/21/15
to rgbdemo
so I have the latest github loaded on Ubuntu 14.04.2 using the Asus Xtion Pro Live but I can't get a clean scan with the markers.   I've got the software setup but for some reason my soup can comes out like it's off center.  The first still looks ok but when I rotate it then it start looking like the can is off center. When looking at the video window it's rotating centered. Definitely not off by half the can diameter as my resulting scan is showing.

Any ideas?

Doug LaRue

Jul 21, 2015, 11:47:53 PM7/21/15
to rgbdemo
if it helps, here is the initialization output on the terminal window when starting up rgbd-scan-markers

dlarue@dlarue:~/PrimeSense/rgbdemo$ build/bin/rgbd-scan-markers
INFO: Initializing OpenNI driver
INFO: OpenNI: New log started on 2015-07-21 20:38:59
INFO: OpenNI: OpenNI version is 1.5.7 (Build 10)-Linux-x86 (Sep  1 2014 16:56:10)
INFO: OpenNI: --- Filter Info --- Minimum Severity: INFO
WARNING: OpenNI: A Generator with the same description already exists!
WARNING: OpenNI: Failed to add generator 0 from module '/usr/lib/libXnDeviceSensorV2.so'
WARNING: OpenNI: A Generator with the same description already exists!
WARNING: OpenNI: Failed to add generator 1 from module '/usr/lib/libXnDeviceSensorV2.so'
WARNING: OpenNI: A Generator with the same description already exists!
WARNING: OpenNI: Failed to add generator 2 from module '/usr/lib/libXnDeviceSensorV2.so'
WARNING: OpenNI: A Generator with the same description already exists!
WARNING: OpenNI: Failed to add generator 3 from module '/usr/lib/libXnDeviceSensorV2.so'
WARNING: OpenNI: A Generator with the same description already exists!
WARNING: OpenNI: Failed to add generator 4 from module '/usr/lib/libXnDeviceSensorV2.so'
WARNING: OpenNI: A Generator with the same description already exists!
WARNING: OpenNI: Failed to add generator 0 from module '/usr/lib/libXnDeviceFile.so'
INFO: OpenNI: USB is initialized.
INFO: Found device: vendor PrimeSense name SensorV2
INFO: [Device 0] PrimeSense, SensorV2, serial=1
INFO: [Kinect a95690] connecting
INFO: OpenNI: Creating node 'Device1' of type Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.1.0.41...
WARNING: OpenNI: Open named event: failed to open key file (2) - event might not exist...
INFO: OpenNI: Property Device.ShareMode was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Device.ShareMode was changed to 0.
INFO: device 0: vendor PrimeSense name SensorV2, instance Device1, serial 1
INFO: OpenNI: Creating node 'Depth1' of type Depth: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.1.0.41...
INFO: OpenNI: Property Device.ReadData was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Creating stream 'Depth1' of type 'Depth'...
INFO: OpenNI: Property Depth1.RequiredDataSize was changed to 614400.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Depth1.OutputFormat was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Stream 'Depth1' was initialized.
INFO: OpenNI: 'Depth1' stream was created.
INFO: OpenNI: Creating node 'Image1' of type Image: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.1.0.41...
INFO: OpenNI: Creating stream 'Image1' of type 'Image'...
INFO: OpenNI: Property Image1.RequiredDataSize was changed to 921600.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Image1.OutputFormat was changed to 5.
INFO: OpenNI: Stream 'Image1' was initialized.
INFO: OpenNI: 'Image1' stream was created.
WARNING: OpenNI: Server returned an error: Device Protocol: Bad Parameter sent!
INFO: Frame Sync supported.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Device.FrameSync was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Creating node 'IR1' of type IR: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.1.0.41...
INFO: OpenNI: Creating stream 'IR1' of type 'IR'...
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.RequiredDataSize was changed to 238080.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.OutputFormat was changed to 5.
INFO: OpenNI: Stream 'IR1' was initialized.
INFO: OpenNI: 'IR1' stream was created.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.RequiredDataSize was changed to 158720.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.BytesPerPixel was changed to 2.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.OutputFormat was changed to 3.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.Resolution was changed to 18446744073709551615.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.RequiredDataSize was changed to 660480.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.YRes was changed to 1024.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.RequiredDataSize was changed to 2621440.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.XRes was changed to 1280.
INFO: OpenNI: Property IR1.Resolution was changed to 2.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Depth1.ActualReadData was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Depth1.State was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Stream Depth1 is open.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Image1.ActualReadData was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Property Image1.State was changed to 1.
INFO: OpenNI: Stream Image1 is open.
INFO: [a95690] finishing

Doug LaRue

Jul 27, 2015, 11:06:18 AM7/27/15
to rgbdemo, doug....@gmail.com
Here's a picture showing the label of the soup can offset on the created point cloud. Notice the label on the "floor" and how it's also missing from the other side of the soup can point cloud area.

Doug LaRue

Jul 28, 2015, 12:30:09 AM7/28/15
to rgbdemo, doug....@gmail.com
It's working and the problem was with using the v5.1.0.x Sensor driver( libXnDeviceSensorV2.so ). Finding and using v5.1.6.6 corrected the issue and I'm guessing it was because the later version has the correct calibration data for the ASUS Xtion Pro Live sensor.

I blogged about this at http://gottachackit.com and directly:
 and the update here:

I ran all this in a Docker container running on Ubuntu 14.04.2 and in the blog I included are my Dockerfile and the build/run script.

Doug