C2 getting hot?

Ulf (SM0NOR)

Oct 31, 2021, 3:39:23 PM10/31/21
to RFPowerTools Forum
Some more work on the amp tonight. For some reason I couldn't see more than 60W. Discovered that C2 had gone into oblivion. Replaced it with a bigger 270pF mica I had at hand. This one gets warm. What could be the reason for this one heating up? And what is the purpose of C2. Prevent parasitic oscillation, I guess...?
At the moment filter board is not connected.
73's - Ulf - SM0NOR

readings.jpg

jcve...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2021, 6:22:26 PM10/31/21
to RFPowerTools Forum
C2 is used to cancel the inductive reactance of the output transformer, T1 it generally has lots of current flowing in it. It's is spec'd as a C0G/NPO dielectric and if you use a different type it will probably burn up quite rapidly. At some point I'll modify the board and BON so it's a 1206 case to help with some of the dissipation.

73,
Jim WA2EUJ