more focused info regarding retrieving portal data

Jim Polk

Jul 11, 2012, 2:39:38 PM7/11/12
to rfmcom...@googlegroups.com

...read thru some of the earlier post,...I'm having exactly the same problem Stephen was having
back in 2010, though he was using Rails, and Ruby 1.8.7 I believe,..I'm using Ruby 1.9.3
Stephen's thread:

...I tried the offered solution,.and while it appears to have worked for Stephen, it doesn't work for me,
now in 2012...also using newer Ruby, and Gingo-Rfm, instead of the Lawdridge fork.
Script is returning table data, but even using "include_portals", it's not returning any portal data.

Just like in Stephen's experience,...I can take the XML dataset and open in a browser and see
the data I need to get, but when using the Ruby script, the data is not being return in the ResultSet.

Would be most appreciative of any suggestions or advice or any solutions or workarounds..

Cheers,

lannon

Jul 11, 2012, 3:13:19 PM7/11/12
to rfmcom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

Apologies for the sparse details in this post, but this issue sounds very familiar. I seem to recall portal data disappearing from ResultSet instances when switching XML backends. If you examine the XML response, you'll likely see that the portal data is there. If I recall correctly, I encountered some parsing issues with portal data using libXML and Nokogiri backends. Reverting to REXML restored the portal data. My guess is that the issue is in the adapters for the different parsing backends. For my purposes, switching back to REXML was fine as performance wasn't an issue. If you're not using REXML, try switching to it just to verify that it's the parsing.

John

wbr

Jul 11, 2012, 5:05:57 PM7/11/12
to rfmcom...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear people are having trouble with portals. I thought I had them working correctly... but maybe not. Sounds like they could be parser-specific issues. This is one potential fallout of cross-parser handling that I was aware of but couldn't produce any failing tests on.

The last time I was free enough to burry myself in RFM, I did a lot of cleanup on the xml parsing for the upcoming v2.1 release. So maybe these issues are cleared in that version. When I come up for air again, I'll have a look at the code. If someone could post (gist, tinyurl, etc) a raw Filemaker XML resultset that appears to parse incorrectly, it would help troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Bill