Question on Setting Up RF Explorer to Analyze Ham Radio Transceiver Emissions

Harold Wandke

Jan 30, 2022, 1:12:30 PM1/30/22
to RF Explorer
Does anyone have experience testing their ham radio transceivers on the RF Explorer?  I am using the 3G Combo, comparing a BTech with a Yaesu FT-60R and a Yaesu FT-818 on 2 meters.  I am getting very high second and third harmonics for all three transceivers.  Not so much a surprise for the BTech, but it compares favorably with the two Yaesus.  I am attenuating 50db with a Bird 20db and a Bird 30 db in series.  I injected a 2m signal from a TinySA into the RF Explorer as a test; I observed the same harmonics, although at lower levels.

My setup is shown below.

Thanks,
KG5YSK
20220128_173145.jpg

RF Explorer

Jan 30, 2022, 1:14:31 PM1/30/22
to RF Explorer
Hi Harold,

The TinySA produces bunch of harmonics, but I do not know about the Yaesu radios, they shouldn't. Are you using the left-module or right-module in your RF Explorer? For best results, you should use right-side module just in case.

Regards,
RF Explorer Team

Harold Wandke

Jan 30, 2022, 1:28:29 PM1/30/22
to RF Explorer
Thank you for your quick response.  I am using the right hand module (15-2700 MHz).

Is it permitted to hook the signal into the RF Explorer as shown in the photo from my previous email?  Is my attenuation level ok?

Thanks,
Harold

Harold Wandke

Jan 30, 2022, 1:31:48 PM1/30/22