Channel Power Meter readings

Marco Congedo

Feb 13, 2021, 3:01:27 AM2/13/21
to RF Explorer
Hello,

what the channel Power Meter is displayinhg exactly?

1) Is this just the integration of the average values in the current span?

2) are you adjusting for the overlapping of adjacent FIR filters ?

Thanks,

RF Explorer

Feb 15, 2021, 10:46:20 AM2/15/21
to RF Explorer
Hi again,

The calculations involve standard integration of all filter rectangles defined between start/stop frequencies selected.

Regards,
RF Explorer Team

Marco Congedo

Feb 15, 2021, 1:01:51 PM2/15/21
to RF Explorer
Hello,

thank you for your answers.
 I prefer to use this channel as the discussion and your answers may be useful to other people as well, if you don't mind.

Since adjacent FIR filters do have some overlapping, i heard about other spectrum analysers
that this is corrected while doing the integration. What kind of filters do you use?
Maybe with this information we can come up with an approximate correction.

Also, i am interested in obtaining the total irradiance, the flux density incident on the antenna in W/m².
This is a standard measure used in evaluating the expoition of biological tissue (e.g., humans)
to electromagnetic fields (EMFs). This requires an integration that takes into consideration the frequencies and
the antenna gain. Would you be interested in implementing such feature?
This would make the RF Explorer very useful also for people working in the field of EMFs exposure,
which is more and more widespread with the advent of 5G. If not, would you please point me to the
source code performing the integration as it is done currently?

Thanks,

RF Explorer

Feb 17, 2021, 10:45:56 AM2/17/21
to RF Explorer
Hi Marco,

You can inspect, modify and reuse our open source code starting at www.rf-explorer.com/hacker

For measuring field meter, you need either calibrated antennas (usually in the range of thousands of dollars) or an approximation using just gain/antenna factor. We are currently working on a set of features to offer V/m and W/m2 readings with known antennas, expected in 2-3 months timeframe.

Regards,
RF Explorer Team