Touchstone Connection Issues

Chris Schatz

Nov 3, 2020, 3:42:40 AM11/3/20
to RF Explorer
Hey everyone, so I have an RF Explorer and I know for a fact the USB 2.0 is connected, it even prompts on Touchstone when I disconnect but the SCAN button doesn't want to enable. I am wondering what I am missing that the analyzer wont communicate with touchstone. Any help?

oh itsyou

Nov 3, 2020, 2:18:55 PM11/3/20
to RF Explorer
Hello,

You don't say which OS you are using -- I'll assume it is MacOS.

With the introduction of Catalina (MacOS 10.15) Apple broke all 3rd-party USB-to-UART software driver installations -- including the one from Silicon Labs (a very large company and manufacturer of USB chips).  Here's a link that should help and which offers a solution:
http://nutsaboutnets.com/faq/installing-drivers-on-latest-versions-of-macos/

Regards,
Nuts About Nets

Chris Schatz

Nov 3, 2020, 2:26:37 PM11/3/20
to RF Explorer
Yes, I am running Catalina. I used the link above and the RF Explorer is communicating with the USB port and confimed via terminal. However, one I load up Touchstone, I can not start a scan. The top right button is not highlighted so what am I missing?

oh itsyou

Nov 3, 2020, 2:29:56 PM11/3/20
to RF Explorer
Chris -- the link I sent describes the problem and offers a solution.

Chris Schatz

Nov 3, 2020, 2:32:14 PM11/3/20
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Again, I followed that link and protocol. My RF unit and touchstone are communicating but I cant get a scan to register on Touchstone. The SCAN button wont prompt

--

---

RUI LISBOA

Nov 17, 2020, 3:46:24 AM11/17/20
to RF Explorer
I am having the same issue. Connection seems successful on Terminal but start is not enabled thus preventing it from sweeps. Any hints?

Chris Schatz

Nov 17, 2020, 9:18:34 AM11/17/20
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
None sir, I have tried countless times to get a spectral reading on Touchstone. The USB script and software are installed correctly just as you and I can get reading on virtual but not touchstone. True bummer since I spent the $50. Only thing I can think of is that touchstone needs an MacOS update pertaining to Catalina.

sle...@yahoo.com

Nov 17, 2020, 1:22:14 PM11/17/20
to RF Explorer
Hello,

A solution was previously posted -- it works and has been confirmed by Silicon Labs.  You just need to follow the instructions.  Here it is again...

With the introduction of Catalina (MacOS 10.15) Apple broke all 3rd-party USB-to-UART software driver installations -- including the one from Silicon Labs (a very large company and manufacturer of USB chips).  Here's a link that should help and which offers a solution:
http://nutsaboutnets.com/faq/installing-drivers-on-latest-versions-of-macos/

Regards,
Nuts About Nets

Chris Schatz

Nov 17, 2020, 7:50:21 PM11/17/20
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Instructions followed and still nothing so its nothing on my end...any other brain busters?

sle...@yahoo.com

Nov 18, 2020, 3:16:47 AM11/18/20
to RF Explorer
Try a different USB cable.  Another customer with the same issue just wrote the 3rd cable he tried was the "charm".  Not all USB cables are created equal.

RUI LISBOA

Nov 20, 2020, 11:22:34 AM11/20/20
to RF Explorer
tried different cables. connection is successful on terminal. touchstone boots (traditionally it wouldn't if not recognising hardware) but still no start enabled.

Sebastian Scharnagl

Jan 23, 2021, 12:59:02 PM1/23/21
to RF Explorer
Did you get it to work by now? I have the same problem. Connection via terminal is confirmed, but cannot hit that start-button.

Rui Lisboa

Jan 23, 2021, 3:22:08 PM1/23/21
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately not

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Jan 2021, at 17:59, Sebastian Scharnagl <scharnagl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Did you get it to work by now? I have the same problem. Connection via terminal is confirmed, but cannot hit that start-button.

Sebastian Scharnagl

Jan 25, 2021, 6:00:15 AM1/25/21
to RF Explorer
I posted a how to that got it to work in the group!