MacBook M1 running Monterey OS, not finding RF Explorer

Michael Alcamo

Apr 4, 2022, 5:29:30 AM4/4/22
to RF Explorer
Is it possible to run an RF Explorer on a MacBook with an M1 chip, running the Mac OS Monterey?

I am trying to use the Touchstone software, but not having any success having the MacBook detect the RF Explorer.

(The virtual box emulator doesn't want to work with the M1 chip)

Thank you.

Алексей Белый

Aug 22, 2022, 11:32:03 AM8/22/22
to RF Explorer
I'm using touchstone with RF Explorer on M1 macbook pro. All good

понедельник, 4 апреля 2022 г. в 11:29:30 UTC+2, mal...@gmail.com:

XENON

Aug 23, 2022, 3:56:01 PM8/23/22
to RF Explorer
Really?!? What OS version and which driver version?

Алексей Белый

Aug 29, 2022, 7:29:26 AM8/29/22
to RF Explorer
Last version of OS and drivers
Screenshot 2022-08-29 at 13.25.42.pngScreenshot 2022-08-25 at 08.13.48.pngIMG_20220812_125636 (1).jpg

вторник, 23 августа 2022 г. в 21:56:01 UTC+2, XENON:

XENON

Aug 29, 2022, 10:45:08 AM8/29/22
to RF Explorer
I can state the app does not work with the device. I just tried a fresh install, latest version of Touchstone Pro, latest version of the silabs drivers from the silabs site (6.0.2) on a laptop running Monterey 12.5.1 with kernel support enabled.

Also had to buy a new license because NutsAboutNets licensing system is completely messed up and they claimed my license was in use despite having properly deactivated it on the old computer.

Nuts About Nets

Aug 29, 2022, 12:40:40 PM8/29/22
to RF Explorer
Hello David,

We have a history of exchanging emails with you.  Usually we let forum members handle responses, but your attempt to shame us with misinformation on a public forum requires some intervention.  It's also poor style -- if you truly wanted help solving this problem you would contact us and help us to help you.  If you just want to complain well, then, I guess you go to a public forum.

1. The application does work.
2. The installation program comes with two icons -- one for the application and one for the Silicons Labs driver.  We assume that users understand that in addition to the application you should install the driver that we provide -- i.e. click both icons.  We don't test every driver update from Silicon Labs.  In Apple's latest MacOS's they broke all 3rd-party USB drivers (including Silicon Labs) and in order to get a 3rd-party USB driver to work you have to use the driver that comes with our setup and provide proper security credentials.
3. There is no mechanism to "properly deactivate" a Touchstone-Pro license on an old computer -- as you well know.  The EULA (End-User-License-Agreement) allows for a single installation.  However, for practical reasons, we allow for some "wiggle" room and the license server in the sky won't complain unless you exceed 3 activations -- which you did.
4. We never claimed your license was already in use.  We develop diagnostic software for trouble shooting wireless communications -- not software licensing systems.  The current simple licensing system that allows for 3 activations works well for the vast majority of users and allows us to keep the software price at $49 USD -- which hasn't changed in nearly 10 years.

David -- you also complained about Rational Waves not working, though thousands of others are using it.  Have you considered this may be an issue of pilot error?

Regards,
Nuts About Nets

Javier Martin Serrano

Aug 29, 2022, 12:40:51 PM8/29/22
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
search for the driver for mac on the RF explorer website.

--

---

XENON

Aug 29, 2022, 12:52:46 PM8/29/22
to RF Explorer
NutsAboutNets, you have a history of not responding to users on this public forum, and your private emails are openly hostile, which is why folks turn to public support forums in the first place. There's no user error here, your app hasnt been updated in ages, and currently does not function properly on the latest iterations of MacOS. Perhaps thats why you've EOLd it. Using sock puppet accounts to claim it does work is duplicitous behavior and likely illegal.

1. The application *opening* doesnt mean it works. It needs to work with the hardware in question, which it does not, and has not for some time now.
2. I installed both the driver you provide with the Touchstone installer package, and when that didnt work, the latest driver directly from Silicon Labs. That driver works fine with other hardware and software, so I know its not an issue on their end, but rather yours.
3. I know nothing about your broken licensing mechanisms, and suggesting I do is absurd. I have only ever installed Touchstone on two computers, and it has been removed from both ages ago. Certainly in the process of attempting to debug your horrendously buggy application I have "installed" it numerous times following clean installs, in attempting to run down how and why any application could be so hilariously incapable of doing what it says on the tin with any degree of consistency.
4. Perhaps if you spent less time arguing with users on the internet, and more time developing stable apps, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Nuts About Nets

Aug 29, 2022, 12:56:12 PM8/29/22
to RF Explorer
Yes, David -- duly noted...

XENON

Aug 29, 2022, 12:59:53 PM8/29/22
to RF Explorer
Incidentally, its no surprise that while NutsAboutNets is happy to argue with their users in public forums, they still havent bothered replying to my private email.

This despite giving them $50 more of my money earlier today to test whether the app somehow worked again (it doesnt)

Andy Leviss

Aug 29, 2022, 3:46:42 PM8/29/22
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 12:59 PM XENON <david.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Incidentally, its no surprise that while NutsAboutNets is happy to argue with their users in public forums, they still havent bothered replying to my private email.

Not the least bit surprising! I had issues with licensing when I purchased it a few years back, and they ignored my emails repeatedly, and when a friend with contacts with them tried interceding on my behalf, they were rude and dismissive, and again quickly became entirely unresponsive. All they did was run out the clock so I could no longer contest the charge with my credit card company when they ignored/refused my request for a refund for a tool I was unable to reliably use. I’d have been better off lighting my money on fire.

There are lots of posts online about how their support swings between extremes of either nonexistent or rude and unhelpful. This post here falls solidly in the latter.

It’s a shame they’re pretty much the only game for the RF Explorer for wireless mic coordination oriented  usage these days.