RF explorer not connecting

Justin Eickenroth

Jul 19, 2022, 1:07:04 PM7/19/22
to RF Explorer
Hello,

I updated my Macbook Pro to Monterey and now cannot get my device to connect with Touchstone software. device is on Firmware version 3.08. Is there new firmware that works with Monterey?

thanks

RF Explorer

Jul 19, 2022, 1:08:27 PM7/19/22
to RF Explorer

Hi,

Please note Touchstone is a product from NutsAboutNets.com - check with them with support for Monterey.

Connectivity issues with Mac is unrelated to firmware version, it is more likely some software compatibility issue.

Regards
RF Explorer Team

Andy Leviss

Jul 19, 2022, 5:25:50 PM7/19/22
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 1:07 PM Justin Eickenroth <jeicken...@gmail.com> wrote:
I updated my Macbook Pro to Monterey and now cannot get my device to connect with Touchstone software. device is on Firmware version 3.08. Is there new firmware that works with Monterey?

It's a driver issue, for some reason it doesn't properly load in recent OSes. Make sure you've got the most up-to-date SiLabs driver, and then try manually unloading and reloading the kernel extension in Terminal with the following two commands:

sudo kextunload -b com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver

sudo kextload -b com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver

If that fixes it, you can go into Script Editor and throw together a quick script that does both of those as shell script commands with a small delay between them, and then save that as an application and add it to login items to do it automatically every time you reboot:

delay 10 --wait 10s to give OS time to boot and load things before we try to unload a thing

do shell script "sudo kextunload -b com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver" with administrator privileges

delay 1

do shell script "sudo kextload -b com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver" with administrator privileges

If you don't want to enter your password each time, you can include the password in the script, just make sure you save it as a run-only application, not an editable script, so the password isn't readable:

--edit the below two lines with your details

set theAdmin to "XXXX" as string --edit the XXXX to the user name of an admin account on the computer

set thePassword to "YYYY" as string --edit the YYYY to password for that account

delay 10 --wait 10s to give OS time to boot and load things before we try to unload a thing

do shell script "sudo kextunload -b com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver" user name theAdmin password thePassword with administrator privileges

delay 1

do shell script "sudo kextload -b com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver" user name theAdmin password thePassword with administrator privileges