Rez in 2021

Ed Whetstone

Jan 16, 2021, 4:53:15 PM1/16/21
to rez-config
Hi all!

My studio is evaluating Rez for our packaging solution, and I wanted to start by getting a sense of where the project is, in early 2021.

1. Have the changes to the governance and contribution model been implemented?  Is ASWF involved at this point?

2. Is Rez now fully Python-3 compatible?

3. How are the initial REPs from 2019 coming along?  Localized and non-filesystem package repositories are looking very appealing in our new work-from-home reality...

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Ed

Ed Whetstone

Jan 16, 2021, 4:54:15 PM1/16/21
to rez-config
Also!  Is the Rez-Talk slack workspace active, and are you accepting new members?

Thorsten Kaufmann

Jan 16, 2021, 5:47:08 PM1/16/21
to rez-config
Hi Ed and welcome to the group. I sent you an invite to the Rez Slack. It's slow at times, but not dead or empty :)

As a quick heads up, Allan is currently on Vacation and will hence be silent until he is back.

In regards to your questions:

1. There have been slight changes (depending on when you last checked) as in more people besides Allan becoming contributors (as in permissions, not as in contributing, this has happened before already), ASWF is not involved as of now. This was brought up before, and so far Allan said he thinks the project needs to mature in some areas before formally approaching ASWF.

2. Yes it should be. Report bugs if you find any! Feel free to check the github Actions, tests are currently being run on 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7, Windows support is still lacking a bit, but not so much on the feature level but on the testing level (yet there are more issues on Windows than Linux)

3. There were quite some substantial additions. Payload caching being one of them. Allan did just implement Ephemeral packages and is working on bundles (https://github.com/nerdvegas/rez/issues/1009) which might be a part of what you are looking for.

With these said, packaging up packages (how meta) can be done quite nicely with the rez-cp command.

Hope that helps  a little, i am usually idling around on Slack if you want to chat (please excuse slow responses during the day...lockdown, homeoffice and homeschooling are taking there toll these days :) )

Cheers,
Thorsten

Edward Whetstone

Jan 19, 2021, 11:45:38 AM1/19/21
to rez-config
Thanks Thorsten for both the invite and the info.  I will definitely reach out soon!

Allan Johns

Jan 28, 2021, 4:22:31 PM1/28/21
to rez-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ed,

Others have covered most of your points. But wrt non-fs package repos, they aren't supported yet, but I think it's achievable.

The package repo itself (ie, package definitions, not including disk payloads) is already a plugin, so adding an object store- based implementation is feasible today. The question is how to manage the payloads. Fortunately I think this may be fairly easy. The following needs to happen:

* The package repo interface needs to be expanded so you can copy a package payload to/from disk. Right now, functionality as you see in rez-cp assumes that a package's `root` attribute points to a location on disk.
* Package caching needs to be updated so that different caching modes can be associated with package repos. Right now all caching is asynchronous. If we could specify blocking caching, then we could force a given package repo to have to localise its variants up front before a context is created. This is how an object store- based repo would work - packages from said repo would be localised to disk before the context gets sourced.

Hth