System python clashing with Maya - Linux

Matteo Di Lena

Feb 14, 2022, 4:35:11 PM2/14/22
to rez-config
Hi all,

I have been using rez for a while at home - so no big pipeline here - really cool software! Helps me keep stuff tidy :)

Anyway, I never had to use rez-pip so far, until just recently when I had to install Pymel as some plugins I was using were expecting it, so I gave it a try. The problem is that, when I resolve an environment with both Pymel and Maya, Pymel also pulls in the python version provided by rez-bind --quickstart, which probably extends PYTHONPATH and messes up Maya.
If, instead of using the package.py provided by that command, I modify it so it points at the system installed python - as pointed out in Package Definition Guide - rez-pip stops working.
One workaround I found when using the rez-bind provided package is to have an ephemeral package declared from maya (e.g .embeds_python) and other softwares that embed their own python version and then check if that exists in the environment from python's package definition, which won't declare its variables when the ephemeral is resolved, so that way I don't break rez-pip. But I wonder if there's a better way to do that.

Thanks for your help!
Matteo

Allan Johns

Feb 15, 2022, 6:44:10 PM2/15/22
to rez-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matteo,

This does crop up now and again, we're planning to address it but the required feature isn't implemented as yet: https://github.com/nerdvegas/rez/issues/1100

Thx

Matteo Di Lena

Feb 16, 2022, 5:30:46 AM2/16/22
to rez-config
Hey Allan,

Thanks for pointing me there, didn't see that issue on github! Great to see there's a plan for it :) I'll keep on using the temporary ephemeral fix for now then, as it seems the simplest one for me at the moment!

Cheers,
Matteo