recreating rez context on the farm

pure...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2021, 9:46:48 AM7/29/21
to rez-config
Hello,

when I submit jobs to the farm I include the rez context.rxt file with the submission,
and then on the farm I run:

    rez-env -input context.rxt

before I run the render task command.

this works, but there is a wrinkle:

I have local packages stored on workstations/render blades at:
     /rez/packages/

and also a central repo at:
     /server/rez/packages/

The submitting machine will often no have the same packages local as the farm machine does, and the result is an error something like:

    Package 'blar' missing from /rez/packages/

even though the package is available in     /server/rez/packages/

what am I missing?

Oscar Domingo Ramos

Jul 29, 2021, 1:36:48 PM7/29/21
to rez-c...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

My guess would be that maybe the workstations and the render blades do not point to (or have in the home) the same rezconfig?

When it complains that can't find a package, it should print out the paths it looks in.

Something else worth checking, if you are using OS variants, is that the workstation and the render blade are the same OS version/build.

Cheers,
Oscar.

pure...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2021, 2:18:21 PM7/29/21
to rez-config
no that's not the case

I get the same behaviour on my machine.

If I do:
('mything' is a package that is both local and also on the server)

    rez-env mything --output test.rxt
    rez-rm --package mything-1.1.1 /rez/packages

Then:

    rez-env --input test.rxt

will fail, but:

    rez-env mything

still works,
since it is happy to load the server copy of the package.
Message has been deleted

Rafael Villar

Jul 29, 2021, 7:31:01 PM7/29/21
to rez-config
Hello,

I think the issue is that an .rxt file has hardened paths to each package. So rez-env --input file.rxt is opening a previously resolved context, from a different machine with different paths, whereas if you rez-env mything on the farm machine it will then do the work to find all of the packages, and in that scenario it can pick up packages in your " /server/rez/packages/" location.

Cheers

pure...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2021, 11:45:36 AM7/30/21
to rez-config
yes this is the case.

So what is the recommended method to re-create a rez environment on a different machine?
would be awsome if you could do something like:

    rez-env --rebuild  context.rxt

Allen Rose

Jul 30, 2021, 1:12:21 PM7/30/21
to rez-c...@googlegroups.com
I believe there's an environment variable that lists all of the resolved package versions.

You could send that as the input to a regular rez-env call.  That would get you the same package versions from whatever location they happen to be available from.

Thorsten Kaufmann

Jul 30, 2021, 2:12:56 PM7/30/21
to rez-config
Yes there is: REZ_USED_RESOLVE contains a list of the resolved packages.

With that said i would like to ask why you have a local repo? If this is used for caching you may want to look into Rez' built-in payload caching system.

Cheers,
Thorsten

pure...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2021, 10:28:07 AM8/11/21
to rez-config
not primarily using it for caching,
mostly its for development/testing:

deploy locally, then if all good, deploy centrally.

Also was kinda using it for caching. intending to use the rez caching but didn't seem to do anything when I last tried it and haven't had the time to investigate.