Rex-1.12.2 released

Ferenc Erki

Sep 5, 2020, 2:56:07 PM9/5/20
to Rex Users
Good news, everyone!

The Rex-1.12.2 release[1] is now available on CPAN[2].

This is a new patch release which fixes various regressions around inventory, custom template functions and configuration file handling, as well as bugs around file hooks and checksumming. Upgrade is highly recommended for all users.

Announced on Twitter[3] and Reddit[4] too.

Thanks for all your support for making this release possible!

Have fun,
FErki

Paulo Graça

Sep 16, 2020, 5:26:04 AM9/16/20
to Rex Users
I've already updated to this version. Thank you (and others) again for this contribution FErki!
I would like to share with you that we still use rex on a daily base to manage our servers (since 2014). We have done several developments, mainly at modules level (https://github.com/RexOps/rex-recipes), also creating new ones (like some https://github.com/RexOps/rex-recipes/pulls). And I think the biggest challenge that rex have to face up, it's to have a proper solution for having rex-recipies, or rex modules. Because that is the way to have an extendable and flexible tool that can adapt to different realities. Is there any place where this discussion started? Otherwise, I would like to propose to start that discussion.

erkif...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 6:20:03 AM9/16/20
to rex-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paulo,

On 2020-09-16 02:26, Paulo Graça wrote:

>I've already updated to this version. Thank you (and others) again for this
>contribution FErki!
>I would like to share with you that we still use rex on a daily base to
>manage our servers (since 2014). We have done several developments, mainly
>at modules level (https://github.com/RexOps/rex-recipes), also creating new
>ones (like some https://github.com/RexOps/rex-recipes/pulls).

thanks for your kind words and contributions, I'm glad you find it
useful!

>And I think
>the biggest challenge that rex have to face up, it's to have a proper
>solution for having rex-recipies, or rex modules. Because that is the way
>to have an extendable and flexible tool that can adapt to different
>realities. Is there any place where this discussion started? Otherwise, I
>would like to propose to start that discussion.

About modules:

You are right about this being one of the challenges. We also identified
it as such, and already decided to officially deprecate[1] the
rex-recipes idea due to its inherent problems.

To also quote the README about "What now?"[2]:

"Since Rex code is just Perl code, Rex modules are best maintained and
distributed in the standard Perl ways. You are encouraged to have your
own repos for your own modules, ask PrePAN for feedback, and perhaps
also use PAUSE to publish to CPAN."

Happily, there are already new modules appearing on CPAN. But also
sadly, none of the previous rex-recipe maintainers ported their modules
yet apparently, nor anyone stepped up from the community to become new
maintainers (where the original license allows that).

If someone is interested in doing so, it might be a nice project to talk
to each maintainer about their intentions for their modules, and prepare
an action plan about the potential future steps (like taking over
modules, or marking them as abandoned, or "maintainer needed", etc.).

I'd say the best place to start or continue discussions about this topic
in general is on IRC (or perhaps in another dedicated thread in this
Google Group).

About major challenges:

IMHO the biggest challenge Rex is facing as a completely volunteer-based
project is more about funding. The grand total received over the last
decade is practically zero, but despite that there's no shortage of
requests for new features, bug fixes, or general maintenance groundwork.

There are ways to sponsor features[3] and/or developers[4], or even
request commercial support[5] from various providers. Anyone who relies
on Rex, please consider to support the related efforts through these
options as well, or perhaps to even give paid jobs to the people working
on it.

Cheers,
FErki

[1]: https://github.com/RexOps/rex-recipes#deprecated