I don't see Revitpythonshell in Add-in tab

ed.boe...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2015, 11:45:52 AM12/8/15
to RevitPythonShell
I just installed Ironpython and Revitpythonshell (RPS) but I don't see RPS in the add-in tab.  If I run Revit under an Admin account then RPS appears in the Add-in tab.  How can I get RPS to work with a user without admin rights?

Cyril Waechter

Dec 8, 2015, 4:40:38 PM12/8/15
to RevitPythonShell, ed.boe...@gmail.com
Hello,

You probably installed RPS not for all users. By default RPS addin file is installed here : %AppData%\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2016 (Usually C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2016)
This path refer to one user path, you should check this path under your admin account.  RevitPythonShell2016.addin should be there.

Doing one of the following should work :
- copy RevitPythonShell2016.addin in the non admin %AppData%\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2016 it will install it only for the specific user you copied the file in.
- copy RevitPythonShell2016.addin in %ProgramData%\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2016 It should install it for all users.

Cheers

ed.boe...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2015, 10:28:17 AM12/10/15
to RevitPythonShell, ed.boe...@gmail.com
Thanks Cyril.  I copied the addin file to the correct folder for my username.

Daren Thomas

Dec 10, 2015, 10:33:46 AM12/10/15
to revitpyt...@googlegroups.com
did it work?

ed.boe...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2015, 10:35:35 AM12/10/15
to RevitPythonShell, ed.boe...@gmail.com
Yes it worked.

Daren Thomas

Dec 11, 2015, 4:46:02 AM12/11/15
to revitpyt...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for providing important information! I have closed the GitHub issue you created as resolved and opened a new issue to address the root cause of your problem: You should have been able to install as administrator for all users.

beauge...@gmail.com

May 30, 2016, 6:20:25 PM5/30/16
to RevitPythonShell, ed.boe...@gmail.com
TLDR: I had the same issue (RPS not appearing in Add-Ins tab) except it did not show even when running Revit2016 as Admin.
Uninstalling/ReInstalling RPS solved it.

Maybe I am not the only one so, here is the long story :

Installed python 2.7.3 then RPS, nothing in Add-Ins tab.
Restarted Revit, nothing.
Rebooted, nothing.
Checked python install, .net install, everything I could figure out, nothing.
Checked the interweb, not a single install tutorial (since it's supposed to just work out of the box)
Left work, back home, do the same on home comp, get same results : no RPS in Add-Ins.

Searched more and found this thread, except I had already try running as Admin at work, and logged in as Admin here at home, still nothing in both cases.
I ran a global search on all drives (as user and as admin) which returned no file named RevitPythonShell2016.addin anywhere. I somehow think this is not normal.
At this points it felt like RPS wasn't even installed, beside the fact I had a folder with files in it.

Then I just gave up and uninstalled RPS and when it was done I was just like, let's just reinstall in right now, nothing to lose. Then, it worked. (I was on my user account, same I used for all the steps above)

For completion's sake I tried a fresh install. Uninstalled Python, RPS, R2016 SDK and everything I installed meanwhile.

Reinstalled Python 2.7.3, reinstalled RPS, it worked... Fuck me, 6 hours trying to make this work and I will probably never know what went wrong.

Will try this at work tomorrow, any clue about what happened would be appreciated if only for my sanity. (and no, I never thought about un/reinstalling the whole thing >_<)

Oliver Green

Feb 8, 2017, 5:57:28 AM2/8/17
to RevitPythonShell
Sorry to resurrect a really (really) old post but thanks Daren. Been trying to install RPS on my user account at work and have been struggling against this for a good while now.

Callum

Feb 9, 2017, 5:48:07 PM2/9/17
to RevitPythonShell
Hi Oliver, lets see if I can help.

Have you tried reinstalling?

Does this file exist on your work computer?
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2016\RevitPythonShell2016.addin

cordi...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 6:58:40 PM6/13/17
to RevitPythonShell
I have been having this issue for installing RPS 2017 2017.04.06 with IronPython 2.7.7 on my user account for work computer. I have an admin password that I enter when installing software. I found under the admin username account that the folders under %AppData%\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\ did not exist.  I had Python3 installed on my computer, which I uninstalled. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both with restarts in between. I tried installing RPS under the admin username account. I can't find an .addin for RPS file anywhere under any users accounts.

Any ideas?

Daren Thomas

Jun 14, 2017, 9:43:03 AM6/14/17
to RevitPythonShell, cordi...@gmail.com
No, no ideas. Can you check for the installation directory? On my computer it is: "c:\Program Files (x86)\RevitPythonShell2017\"
If you have that, then you can create your own .addin file with this content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" standalone="no"?>
<RevitAddIns>
  <AddIn Type="Application">
    <Name>RevitPythonShell</Name>
    <Assembly>C:\Program Files (x86)\RevitPythonShell2017\RevitPythonShell.dll</Assembly>
    <AddInId>3a7a1d24-51ed-462b-949f-1ddcca12008d</AddInId>
    <FullClassName>RevitPythonShell.RevitPythonShellApplication</FullClassName>
  <VendorId>RIPS</VendorId>
  </AddIn>
</RevitAddIns>

My .addin file is here: "C:\Users\darenthomas\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2017\RevitPythonShell2017.addin"

cordi...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2017, 6:56:04 PM6/14/17
to RevitPythonShell, cordi...@gmail.com
Thanks very much Daren

It looks to be working now.

jason.j...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2017, 10:55:11 AM6/28/17
to RevitPythonShell, cordi...@gmail.com
Just wanted to chime in that I had the same issue with 2017. I only have a user account on my work machine so I had our IT guy install it under his admin account but could not find the .addin file anywhere (not in programdata or appdata under either of our accounts) but the RevitPythonShell folder under ProgramFiles did install.

Manually creating the addin file seemed to fix everything though, thanks!

drume...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2017, 2:45:27 AM7/11/17
to RevitPythonShell, cordi...@gmail.com, jason.j...@gmail.com
I believe the problem is that the Addins / Revit version folder does not necessarily exist under the admin user account combined with the fact the installer fails to place the addin file if that path doesn't exist for that account. Can the installer be modified so it installs for all users and creates the addins folder path if it doesn't exist already? This would fix the issue... I ran into this today btw.

Daren Thomas

Jul 11, 2017, 8:28:44 AM7/11/17
to RevitPythonShell, ed.boe...@gmail.com

alia...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2018, 9:56:34 PM1/28/18
to RevitPythonShell
Hi Daren,

I've also had the very same problem. manually creating the *.addin have fixed the issue. you probably have to make it installing for "all users" by default.

Many thanks!
Ali Tehami
Message has been deleted