reviewboard docker-compose 5.0.2 no static resources displayed

Gábor Lipták

Feb 17, 2023, 2:50:04 PM2/17/23
to Review Board Community

http://localhost:8080/ displays a screen without images/CSS/JS

A possibly related error in the logs

ERROR:djblets.extensions.manager:The Review Board Power Pack extension uses the deprecated "htdocs" directory for static files. This is no longer supported. It must be updated to use a "static" directory instead.

Any folder locations to be updated in examples provided?

Same happened running release-4.0.10

Please comment

Christian Hammond

Feb 17, 2023, 6:44:52 PM2/17/23
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gábor,

The "htdocs" warning can be safely ignored. That's just a deprecation warning that we issue for older extensions. Current Power Pack releases still bundle a legacy way of shipping static media files for wide Review Board compatibilty, hence that warning. It won't actually impact anything on the system.

The important thing to note when using Docker is that Review Board has two halves:

1. The backend server, which serves up the Review Board API and URLs, and is meant to be accessed directly only by the frontend server.
2. The frontend server, which serves up CSS, JavaScript, and images, and sends all other requests to the backend server.

In the example Docker configuration, that port 8080 is for Review Board's backend server, so it's expected that you won't get the media files. You'll need to access the frontend server instead. In our example setup, that's Nginx, port 80.

Christian

--
Supercharge your Review Board with Power Pack: https://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/
Want us to host Review Board for you? Check out RBCommons: https://rbcommons.com/

Christian Hammond
President/CEO of Beanbag
Makers of Review Board

Gábor Lipták

Feb 17, 2023, 8:38:45 PM2/17/23
to Review Board Community
thank you for the pointer Christian. I commented on the earlier thread

Christian Hammond

Feb 17, 2023, 9:09:44 PM2/17/23
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Not a problem.

Based on these threads, we're going to make some changes to the defaults and the documentation for these files. This might help a bit:

Christian