Charting Library for the Admin Dashboard

vladikoff

May 26, 2011, 12:07:17 AM5/26/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a charting library for my project that I can use to create widgets (pie charts, line charts, etc). This is for the admin dashboard (main view).

Here are some of the options:

Google Chart Tools
(Also this early module "django-chart-tools" http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-chart-tools , uses Google API and adds a few template tags. And this http://pygooglechart.slowchop.com/
Nice set of charts, the Combo Chart would look great for the main widgets. However, to create/use charts this requires access to Google APIs.

pyOFC2 Python Open Flash Chart 2
This one uses Flash ("Open Flash Chart 2" + "PyOFC2").

flot
Uses jQuery, Canvas (+IE support with "excanvas")

Charting using "ReportLab library"
This one uses bitmaps, I couldn't find any examples of the charts for this one yet.

I'll keep looking for more options, but I would like to hear your opinions on this topic. The chart choice is not a roadblock yet, just planning ahead.
Thanks!
Vlad.

Alexander Solovets

May 26, 2011, 12:28:42 AM5/26/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend to define the requirements list. Often writing it out
helps choose the corresponding solution unambiguously. If I faced such
a problem I'd ask myself if I want the chart to be static of dynamic.
In the static case it would be better to fetch generated image from
the server as 1 - despite the fact that modern browsers are able to
run complex JS code, eventually they eat too much memory rendering the
page overloaded with JS code, and 2 - server side is unrestricted in
tools, so you can use already written excellent software (e.g.
gnuplot).

This is what I think =)

Mike Conley

May 26, 2011, 2:37:22 PM5/26/11
to Review Board Summer of Code
Another project I work on uses Bluff, and we seem to be happy with
it: http://bluff.jcoglan.com/

Along with Alexander's use-cases, there are a few other factors to
keep in mind when bringing in a new dependency:

1) License: exactly what do we agree to if we start using the tool?
2) Maintenance: how active is development on the project? We don't
want to become the maintainers of a dead graphing tool.
3) Documentation: is there nice, up-to-date documentation for the
tool?

Just some things to consider,

-Mike

Christian Hammond

May 26, 2011, 3:23:15 PM5/26/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Also, dependencies. If it's a standalone library, or one that uses PIL, perfect. However, if it requires native code, it's going to be more difficult to install (we have enough of those as it is). I'd say Flash is right out. It should be cross-browser, cross-platform, and that extends to mobile devices.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Vlad

May 28, 2011, 2:16:38 PM5/28/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for great advice!
I will do more research and will try to find the right solution. I will let you all know what my choice is before implementing it into the project.

Vlad.