Submitted proposal

Bogdana Popa

Mar 30, 2012, 5:42:41 PM3/30/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

I've just submitted the first draft of my proposal - I decided Christian's suggestion was far more useful than my initial one so I went down that path.
And I'm really curious to see what everyone thinks.
If, by any chance you can't access melange, you can also find it here.

Please bear in mind that it still needs refinement, especially in the task description area, but I figured that a mediocre starting point is way better than none :)

Looking forward to hearing your opinions,
     Bogdana

Christian Hammond

Apr 14, 2012, 6:49:30 PM4/14/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I know this is a late reply to your e-mail, but I think the proposal you have up is great. We'd need to figure out how exactly this data is stored and queried (it needs to be fast), so much of the work will be about recording changes made to things, but that can be figured out.

Good job,

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Bogdana Popa

Apr 17, 2012, 3:16:18 AM4/17/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

Thank you for the reply - I was starting to get a bit discouraged by the lack of feedback.
I guess I'll start thinking about solutions then.

Best regards,
Bogdana

Bogdana Popa

Apr 24, 2012, 2:22:11 PM4/24/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Yay! I just got the good news - my proposal was accepted.
Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of an awesome project. I really hope it's the beginning of a long and fruitful collaboration :)

And now, moving on to the administrative matters, I'm a bit curious about the next steps.
I haven't been hanging around the IRC channel that much, but I can start doing so.
Right now, I've started setting up my environment and trying to get a bit more familiar with Git.
And, as Christian pointed out, there are still important things that need to be discussed before I actually start coding.

I guess I can always poke around the code in the meantime, right? :)

Best regards,
Bogdana

David Trowbridge

Apr 24, 2012, 3:01:09 PM4/24/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Bogdana,

We're thrilled to have you!

The IRC channel is a good place to hang out. We usually idle in there,
and we'll be available to chat if we're around, but even though we
might be logged in, we might not be there (especially during the work
week).

Getting familiar with git is a crucial task, and I'm happy to hear
that you're jumping in. In terms of getting a start on the code, a
good way to familiarize yourself with it is to try to fix a few small
bugs. That will also help you learn about the review cycle and how our
development process works.

-David

Christian Hammond

Apr 24, 2012, 4:49:34 PM4/24/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! We liked your proposal and I'm pleased you were excited about the idea for improving the dashboard.

I'm going to be out of town on vacation this weekend, but I'd like to sit down and discuss the project at some point and answer any questions you have.

Digging into the code is a great first step. We also have some docs on working with the codebase up on our site.

Steven MacLeod was also accepted, and is a return student from UCOSP (a program similar to GSoC). I'm confident he can help you with any questions in the meantime :)

Welcome aboard!

Christian