Welcome to Review Board!

Christian Hammond

Apr 26, 2011, 3:40:41 AM4/26/11
to Babak Basseri, Alexander Solovets, Vlad Filippov, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Mike Conley, David Trowbridge
Hi everyone!

(So sorry for the late e-mail. I'm out of town at the moment and lost track of the announcement date.)

First off, I want to say welcome to the project! I'm Christian Hammond, co-founder of Review Board. I'll be mentoring you guys, along with David Trowbridge (co-founder) and Mike Conley (contributor/mentor).

We're a fairly small project in terms of core developers, so while each of you technically has a mentor assigned, you should look to all three of us as mentors for the project.

We've participated in GSoC and UCOSP (which is similar to GSoC, but involving several Canadian universities) for the past few years and have had some great successes with it. We're always excited to get some fresh blood in the project.

I'm going to fill you in on some bits of the project, our expectations, and the general process for contributing to Review Board.

We have an IRC channel, #reviewboard-students, where you're welcome to idle. We'll be around to answer questions as time permits.

Many of us are in different timezones and have work schedules, so we'll just have to see how that all fits together. If you can tell me your timezones and your schedules (preferably in UTC), that will definitely help us.

We're going to have weekly meetings and status reports. The meetings will take place in #reviewboard-students. We'll schedule a time based on your schedules. Each week, we'll have one of you take notes to put on our student blog (http://reviewboardstudents.wordpress.com/).

Status reports should be every Friday. Nothing major, just what you're working on, any road blocks, what's next, etc. Anything you think would be useful. It doesn't have to be too long. These should be posted to the student blog. Mike Conley will set each of you up with an account.

All code reviews will be done on http://reviews.reviewboard.org/.

We have documentation on working with the code base at http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/codebase/dev/. In particular, read the Getting Started, Coding Standards, and Contributing Patches docs.

We use Git for development. If you haven't used Git before, we have some resources linked to on the Code Base Docs page.

I know a couple of you may have some questions about your projects and their direction. I'll be glad to discuss those with you and what we're thinking for the tasks. I'll send each of you an e-mail shortly about your project.

For now, please subscribe to reviewboard-gsoc and send out an e-mail introducing yourself.

Thanks, and again, welcome!

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Mike Conley

Apr 26, 2011, 9:20:06 AM4/26/11
to Christian Hammond, Babak Basseri, Alexander Solovets, Vlad Filippov, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, David Trowbridge
Hello new GSoC students!

> These should be posted to the student blog. Mike Conley will set
> each of you up with an account.

If any of you already have a WordPress.com account, could you please
send me the address that you registered that account with? If I don't
hear back from you by tomorrow night, I'll assume you don't have a
WordPress.com account, and I'll create one for you, registered to the
e-mail address you've given us.

I look forward to working with you all!

-Mike

--
http://www.mikeconley.ca

Christian Hammond

May 2, 2011, 6:07:15 AM5/2/11
to Babak Basseri, Alexander Solovets, Vlad Filippov, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Mike Conley, David Trowbridge
Hi guys,

Just a reminder to subscribe to the services and send out an e-mail, preferably by today. I want to get schedules figured out so we can start on the weekly meetings.

I'd like part of your e-mail to be a status report on what you've done so far, as far as getting set up or figuring out responsibilities.

Thanks!

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Alexander Solovets

May 2, 2011, 6:28:43 AM5/2/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Babak Basseri, Alexander Solovets, Vlad Filippov, Mike Conley, David Trowbridge
Hello!

My name is Alexander Solovets. This year I am graduating from Far Eastern Federal University of Vladivostok(Russia). I am majoring in Computer Science and Applied Math. This summer I will work on new API enhancement. My time zone is GMT+10. So far I've been examining project guidelines, legacy code and Review Board web API. I've already subscribed on this group and my IRC nick is mbait.

--
Sincerely, Alexander

Mike Conley

May 2, 2011, 9:37:01 AM5/2/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Babak Basseri, Alexander Solovets, Vlad Filippov, David Trowbridge
Hey all:

My name is Mike Conley. I'm a recent graduate from the University of
Toronto, and now work for Mozilla Corp on the Thunderbird e-mail
client.

I started using Review Board on a project while at UofT, and was a
GSoC student for the project last summer. My work was on the
third-party extensions branch for Review Board. I'm also working on
getting simple issue tracking integrated with RB.

I live in Toronto (we're in EDT, so GMT-4), and work from 9-5 on
weekdays. Meeting-wise, everything else is fair game before 10PM. My
IRC nick is mconley.

I look forward to working with you all,

-Mike

--
http://www.mikeconley.ca

Christian Hammond

May 2, 2011, 3:14:11 PM5/2/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander,

What days/times are open in your schedule?

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Alexander Solovets

May 2, 2011, 4:23:58 PM5/2/11
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Christian!

> What days/times are open in your schedule?

As I mentioned in my proposal I am going to work every weekday about
6-8 hours. Or do you mean anything else?

Babak Basseri

May 2, 2011, 7:29:28 PM5/2/11
to Mike Conley, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Solovets, Vlad Filippov, David Trowbridge
Hey,

My name is Babak Basseri. I am a third year computer science student from University of Toronto St.George Campus. This summer I am working on the cross platform installer for Review Board. So far I've been working on understanding the tasks better and prioritizing them. Next step, I am gonna start planning the different steps and start coding.

I live in Toronto (we're in EDT, so GMT-4). I usually work from 11am-10pm on weekdays. I am free anytime after 11pm till late night for meetings. I have already subscribed to this group, wordpress, and IRC.

Wordpress: http://babakrb.wordpress.com/
IRC Nickname: babak

Sincerely,

--
Babak Basseri
Social Director, Computer Science Student Union

Alexander Solovets

May 3, 2011, 12:02:06 AM5/3/11
to Babak Basseri, Mike Conley, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Vlad Filippov, David Trowbridge
Ok, finally I got what "open days/time" means and I'm available since
7AM to 11PM both on weekdays and weekends.

Mike Conley

May 3, 2011, 2:01:44 PM5/3/11
to Babak Basseri, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Solovets, Vlad Filippov, David Trowbridge
Babak:

How do you feel about weekend meetings? And Vlad, have you sent your
available times?

-Mike

--
http://www.mikeconley.ca