Welcome to Review Board GSoC 2012!

Christian Hammond

May 13, 2012, 7:17:56 PM5/13/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, Steven MacLeod, Bogdana Popa
Hey,

First off, let me apologize for not sending this out sooner. Everyone's kind of been preoccupied with things over the past month, but I think we're ready to get the ball rolling on another great Summer.

We have a very small group this Summer. Steven MacLeod is a return student from UCOSP, and Bogdana Popa is a new contributor who has already provided us with several patches since joining us. Thanks!

Steven knows us, so Bogdana, for your benefit, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Christian Hammond, co-founder of Review Board. David Trowbridge and I started this project many years ago now to find a better alternative to typical raw patch review on mailing lists, and since then it has grown into a large project used by companies world-wide. Outside of Review Board, David and I work at VMware on some of our consumer products.

We also run a small startup called Beanbag, Inc., where we run a Review Board hosting service called RBCommons (http://www.rbcommons.com/), which helps fund Review Board development.

There's always a lot going on with Review Board, and we have years of things to work on. You both have great projects lined up, and I'm genuinely looking forward to both making it into the product!

So a few steps to start out:

1) Join the mailing lists, if you haven't already. At a minimum, you should sign up for:

http://groups.google.com/group/reviewboard-dev (Development discussions about the Review Board project and codebase.)

2) Tell us a bit about yourself.

We've talked a little in IRC, but not much. Feel free to introduce yourselves. Mention the project you're working on, what your experiences have been in programming, what you like to do, favorite color, whatever :)

3) Hang out in IRC.

I know both of you have been in our channel (#reviewboard-students) already. We find it's useful to always stay idled in there, but that's not always feasible. We can provide shell connections with IRC clients or bouncers if it would help.

Idling in there is useful because otherwise, you may have a question for us, but we may not be around, and by the time we see it, you may not be around. Helps cut back on that problem.

4) Create a wordpress.com account and let us know your username.

We do weekly status reports on http://reviewboardstudents.wordpress.com/. This helps us with evaluations and meetings, and helps followers see what's going on in development.

You'll be able to make posts whenever you like on the blog. It can be limited to status reports, or you can blog about some tip or trick, or idea, or really anything.

Status reports should say where you are in your work, what your roadblocks are, what's next. They don't have to be very long. You can see some existing status reports on the blog and see what others have done.

5) Let us know what times work for you for meetings.

Historically, we've been holding weekly meetings on Saturdays at 2PM PST. Does this work for you, or would another time be better?

In meetings, we'll make any announcements we may have, and then we'll go over your status, any questions you have, and really whatever. This is really your time.

Looking forward to another great Summer!

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chi...@chipx86.com
VMware, Inc. - http://www.vmware.com

Mike Conley

May 16, 2012, 9:58:39 AM5/16/12
to Review Board Summer of Code
Hey all,

Quick intro - my name is Mike Conley, and I was a GSoC student for
Review Board back in 2010. My project was on fleshing out the
extension framework. It was a great summer, and I've been sticking
with the project ever since.

By day I work in Toronto at Mozilla on the front-end of the
Thunderbird email client, which is written mostly in Javascript.

Other things about me...I'm a theatre buff, I'm in a band, and I have
a passion for point-and-click adventure games. Conversations with me
invariably tend towards discussions about how awesome Monkey Island,
Sam & Max, and Day of the Tentacle is.

> Historically, we've been holding weekly meetings on Saturdays at 2PM PST.
> Does this work for you, or would another time be better?

Works for me. Sunday also works.

-Mike

On May 13, 7:17 pm, Christian Hammond <chip...@chipx86.com> wrote:
> [...]
> going on in development.
>
> You'll be able to make posts whenever you like on the blog. It can be
> limited to status reports, or you can blog about some tip or trick, or
> idea, or really anything.
>
> Status reports should say where you are in your work, what your roadblocks
> are, what's next. They don't have to be very long. You can see some
> existing status reports on the blog and see what others have done.
>
> 5) Let us know what times work for you for meetings.
>
> Historically, we've been holding weekly meetings on Saturdays at 2PM PST.
> Does this work for you, or would another time be better?
>
> In meetings, we'll make any announcements we may have, and then we'll go
> over your status, any questions you have, and really whatever. This is
> really your time.
>
> Looking forward to another great Summer!

Bogdana Popa

May 20, 2012, 3:43:15 PM5/20/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, but I just got back from holiday (still fighting the jet lag as we speak).

2) Tell us a bit about yourself.

We've talked a little in IRC, but not much. Feel free to introduce yourselves. Mention the project you're working on, what your experiences have been in programming, what you like to do, favorite color, whatever :)

Ah, this has always been the hard part. :)  Well, I'm Bogdana and I've been successfully using Review Board for about 6 months now. My project consists in adding a new view to the user dashboard displaying the latest actions performed on the requests he might be interested in. You can find my proposal here. I live in a pretty city in western Romania where I'm working on my Masters in Software Engineering and for a small company that builds software to support clinical trials.
I've been involved in several projects during the past years ranging from assembler and C to large J2EE products.
Until recently I've been volunteering for an NGO called BEST (where I was the local IT coordinator and a member in the international IT committee). I think this played a huge a part in developing my soft skills and also fueled my travel addiction.
Other than that, I'm also into robots and dinosaurs (robot-dinosaurs are awesome as well) - I've entered some robotics competitions in the past years and even won a few.

5) Let us know what times work for you for meetings.

Historically, we've been holding weekly meetings on Saturdays at 2PM PST. Does this work for you, or would another time be better?

2 PM PST is a bit late for me (it's 00:00 am EEST), so I would prefer it sometime sooner, if it's possible. I would suggest 11 AM PST, if it's convenient for everyone. And, as Mike mentioned, Sundays would also work.

Looking forward to getting things started,
Bogdana

Steven MacLeod

May 20, 2012, 8:59:20 PM5/20/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'm Steven MacLeod, a CS student just finishing up my undergraduate.
Last term I worked on Review Board as part of the UCOSP program,
focusing mostly on the extension system, and automating static analysis
of code posted to Review Board.

My GSoC work will focus less on the Review Board core, and more on
RBTools. The new Python API and work towards a more "Git like" set
of commands will be my priority.

5) Let us know what times work for you for meetings.

All the meeting times mentioned so far should work for me, including Sundays.

Steve

David Trowbridge

May 24, 2012, 4:03:06 PM5/24/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com, reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Christian already mostly introduced me, so I'll just add that I'm busy Saturday mornings until 12:30pdt. Sundays are completely open.

- David

Mike Conley

May 25, 2012, 9:41:12 AM5/25/12
to Review Board Summer of Code
Alright, so how about Sundays at 11AM PST, starting this Sunday?

Bogdana Popa

May 25, 2012, 9:57:19 AM5/25/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Alright, so how about Sundays at 11AM PST, starting this Sunday?

It sounds great as far as I'm concerned.

Bogdana

Steven MacLeod

May 25, 2012, 12:36:31 PM5/25/12
to reviewbo...@googlegroups.com