Creating CF image for Etched Pixels rc2014 emulator?

rwd...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2021, 10:12:35 AM12/26/21
to retro-comp
Can anyone explain how to create an IDE image for the rc2014 emulator, using a 128MB CF IMG file as input.

I believe it uses emulator's makedisk utility  and perhaps dd, to prepend a 1k chunk but I have not yet been able to decode the terse instructions for creating e.g. cfdisk.ide.

Also what values are sensible for the makedisk [type] parameter?

I hope everyone is enjoying a good seasonal break?
For me after creating lots of handmake Christmas cards I now have pi-cp/m play time .

Richard

Alan Cox

Dec 26, 2021, 10:48:47 AM12/26/21
to rwd...@gmail.com, retro-comp
On Sun, 26 Dec 2021 at 15:12, rwd...@gmail.com <rwd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone explain how to create an IDE image for the rc2014 emulator, using a 128MB CF IMG file as input.

I believe it uses emulator's makedisk utility  and perhaps dd, to prepend a 1k chunk but I have not yet been able to decode the terse instructions for creating e.g. cfdisk.ide.

Also what values are sensible for the makedisk [type] parameter?

The disk image is a 1K header including the 512 byte 'identify' data for the drive, so yes

dd if=image.raw of=cfdisk.ide seek=2 conv=notrunc

(the default block size is 512 bytes)

should do the trick

For the disks makedisk will produce an empty disk with the right headers. The types (from ide.h) are

1  Classic CHS 504MB IDE drive
2 20MB very early CHS IDE drive
3 20MB LBA capable IDE drive or CF
4 40MB LBA capable IDE drive or CF
5 120MB ditto
6 256MB ditto

I generally use 4 a 32MB image. The first two types are really intended for other emulations than RC2014 which only understood some old drive types or need to match burned into ROM/BIOS table drive type codes.

Alan

rwd...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2021, 12:21:22 PM12/26/21
to retro-comp