Modify CPM 2.2 to add PS/2 and TMS9918 support

Matheus Yan

Jun 25, 2024, 12:41:42 PM (10 days ago) Jun 25
to retro-comp
Im trying to modify the CP/M 2.2 sources to use a TMS9918 and a PS/2 keyboard instead of a terminal. My big goal is to make my little computer full independent from my notebook and run it only by itself. But, to start, Im trying to recompile the PutSysPlus.asm from Small Computer Centrall with the Small Computer Workshop, this little program runs with the SCM and writhe the CP/M to the CF card. The point is that Im stuck because the SCW do not compile th PutSysPlus program thet it literally came with and any of the other compilers that I tested (Zasm, Sjamplus, Tniasm) work thit it (it uses much copiler instructions like #IF, #define, etc...)
Does anyone could give a way to do it or a better solution to modify the CP/M 2.2 files and put then on the CF card?
This is the error that I get when try to assemble, after that the programs close:
I also put here a image of the files that Im trying to modify. Pode ser uma imagem de texto
Pode ser uma imagem de texto

Tadeusz Pycio

Jun 25, 2024, 2:06:32 PM (10 days ago) Jun 25
to retro-comp
I use ZMAC to compile CP/M and PutSys (source attached).
A simple script for Windows:

zmac cbios.z80 --oo cim,lst --od ./
zmac putsys.z80 --oo cim,lst --od ./

copy /b putsys.cim + cbios.cim cpm22.bin
bin2hex 0x8000 cpm22.bin cpm22.hex
PutSys.z80

Steve Cousins

Jun 25, 2024, 5:23:00 PM (10 days ago) Jun 25
to retro-comp
The intention is that everything needed to assemble and modify the CP/M BIOS and SCM Apps is included in the download. But!

I've just downloaded the package from my website and I get the same error. Not sure why as a file compare with my master copy (which assembles okay) does not find any differences in the EXE or the Apps files. I must be missing something silly. I'll have a proper look asap and report back.

Steve

Matheus Yan

Jun 27, 2024, 2:47:26 PM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to retro-comp
Looks like that zmac do not know about some instructions of putsysplus.asm also
Capturar.PNG

Matheus Yan

Jun 27, 2024, 2:48:12 PM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to retro-comp
If you could, I would like very much to be able to start testing modified CPM BIOS verions

Matheus Yan

Jun 27, 2024, 3:08:03 PM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to retro-comp
The Zmac already worked with the Putsys.z80 file that you share here, but how different it is from the PutySysPlus that I Have here? Furthermore, it do not worked with the CBIOS.asm that I have here that came with SCW software
Could you help me to use this files instead? how can I upload CMP from SCM with the files that are you using?

Tadeusz Pycio

Jun 27, 2024, 4:49:58 PM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to retro-comp
CBIOS and CPM22 files need to be adapted to ZMAC. Small Computer Workshop is a great tool for building your own versions of SCM. Personally, I use third-party tools to build applications and the operating system, but this is my choice and is not the only right way. Steve is successfully building everything under SCW and I think it works very well for him.

Matheus Yan

Jun 27, 2024, 6:28:10 PM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to retro-comp
I would like to start the CBIOS modify already. As Im in trouble with SCW, could you help me a little with a way to do it? I just want a way to modify the CP/M Bios abd put it in the CF card to test my mod. Its all I need now

Steve Cousins

Jul 1, 2024, 1:17:51 PM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to retro-comp
I've checked the SCW/SCM download and I think you may be getting an error when assembling PutSysPlus because you are not assembling CBIOS first.

The notes file in the CPM_CBIOS_and_PutSysPlus folder lists the necessary steps to build PutSysPlus:
1/ Edit Configure.asm to configure the CBIOS
2/ Assemble CBIOS.asm
3/ Assemble PutSysPlus.asm

If that is not the solution, please let me know.

Steve