New storage modules

Karl Albert Brokstad

Sep 30, 2020, 12:02:37 PM9/30/20
to retro-comp
Hi

Here are some more storage modules :)

#74 the ultimate hacked version

IMG_1788.JPG

#75 40pin IDE  version

IMG_1789.JPG

And #71-73

IMG_1753.JPG

Karl

Colin MacArthur

Oct 1, 2020, 2:15:50 PM10/1/20
to retro-comp
They look GREAT.
I like the #75 as I am a PPIDE fan....
CM

Steve Cousins

Oct 1, 2020, 4:38:14 PM10/1/20
to retro-comp
While the PPIDE approach is a good solid design, it is worth noting that Karl's recent Compact Flash modules include additional circuitry to improve the compatibility and reliability problems associated with earlier bus-based Compact Flash module designs (including the official RC2014 module). With these improvements and the greater speed of the bus-based design, I think Karl's bus-based CF modules are a good alternative to the PPIDE approach. Also, I believe the bus-based design has more software support.

Steve

Karl Albert Brokstad

Oct 1, 2020, 4:57:16 PM10/1/20
to retro-comp
I have had a little time to test the two modules, and the #74 is the best module I have made so far, at least regarding compatability with CF cards.

BTW: Steve has opened his store again. So he will be busy packing and shipping this weekend :)

Karl

Karl Albert Brokstad

Oct 1, 2020, 5:32:44 PM10/1/20
to retro-comp
For those who are interested;
Here are the full work files for the #74b.
There was a small bug in 74a, which I have corrected in this version.
Karl

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 23.19.55.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 23.20.07.png

Gerber_74b Storage module_2020-10-01_23-20-23.zip
Schematic_74b Storage Module_2020-10-01_23-10-43.pdf

Karl Albert Brokstad

Oct 4, 2020, 4:27:35 PM10/4/20
to retro-comp
Here are two new untested designs.