Beginner issue/question

Michael Earls

Feb 15, 2022, 7:47:08 AM2/15/22
to retro-comp
Good day,

I am a veteran programmer, but all of my experience is with C-like languages and not C specifically.

I am using an SC131 and z88dk to compile a very simple hello, world program.

Here is my c source:

#include <stdio.h>

void main() {
    printf("Hello, World!");
}

I then build it using the following zcc command options:

zcc +scz180 -subtype=hbios -clib=sdcc_iy -SO3 -v -m --list --max-allocs-per-node100000 hello.c -o hello -create-app

I access ROMWBW over TeraTerm and enter the Monitor. I type "L" then return to Load.

From TeraTerm, I then send file "hello.ihx".

The monitor then gives me a "checksum error" message and displays:

>00E4DAC100E1E42A30110023:1010009FECD110

What am I missing?

Richard Deane

Feb 15, 2022, 12:57:11 PM2/15/22
to Michael Earls, retro-comp
I am not familiar with z88dk, but BDS and HITECH C are well regarded, and will compile on the sc131 (nice machine - I have one). My preferred language on CP/M-80 is PLI-80.

The Modula 2 from Hisoft/FTL for Amstrad PCW works well on SC131,

Richard

Jay Cotton

Feb 15, 2022, 1:01:10 PM2/15/22
to Richard Deane, Michael Earls, retro-comp
Try zcc +cpm --create-app program name.
This make a .com file that can be run directly on the 131

Phillip Stevens

Feb 15, 2022, 1:08:53 PM2/15/22
to retro-comp
Michael  wrote:
I think you’re doing everything right. But there’s something odd about the terminal serial transfer.

You can also try Jay’s suggestions too, but then you need to get into CP/M first, rather than using the romwbw monitor and ihx loading.

I’ll replicate your steps later today too, to see what happens.

P.

Wayne Warthen

Feb 15, 2022, 1:46:34 PM2/15/22
to retro-comp
On Tuesday, February 15, 2022 at 4:47:08 AM UTC-8 michae...@gmail.com wrote:
I access ROMWBW over TeraTerm and enter the Monitor. I type "L" then return to Load.

From TeraTerm, I then send file "hello.ihx".

The monitor then gives me a "checksum error" message and displays:

>00E4DAC100E1E42A30110023:1010009FECD110

This looks like you were sending characters over the serial port too quickly for the RomWBW monitor to keep up.  The primary port (port A) of the SC131 supports hardware flow control which should prevent this.  Can you check that you have  Flow Control set to RTS/CTS in your serial setup in Tera Term?

Alternatively, you can add some "Transmit delay" in the Tera Term serial port setup.

Thanks,

Wayne

Michael Earls

Feb 15, 2022, 6:47:02 PM2/15/22
to retro-comp
Thank you for the recommendations. I would like to try BDS and HITECH C. I have found that the advanced feature set of z88dk is amazing, yet a little daunting to the beginner. However, it's documented well enough across the Internet (especially on the z88dk.org website and this group) and I've found that I can usually piece together my solution (except this one).

Michael Earls

Michael Earls

Feb 15, 2022, 6:49:15 PM2/15/22
to retro-comp
Thank you Wayne,

That was it. Once I set the flow control, it worked perfectly.

This is so much fun and it's very addicting. Next up, writing code for my SC126 and burning a ROM.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Michael Earls

Michael Earls

Feb 15, 2022, 8:55:45 PM2/15/22
to retro-comp
To aid those following in my footsteps as an absolute beginner to retro computer kits and RomWBW, I have created a blog post outlining the steps necessary to create a simple Hello, World program on the SC131.

I hope this will help others in the future get their feet wet.

Michael Earls

Phillip Stevens

Feb 15, 2022, 10:32:23 PM2/15/22
to retro-comp
To aid those following in my footsteps as an absolute beginner to retro computer kits and RomWBW, I have created a blog post outlining the steps necessary to create a simple Hello, World program on the SC131.

Nice write up. Very helpful.

There's an additional guide at the RC2014 wiki that might also be helpful for you to reference.
As well of course as the z88dk wiki, though as you point out there's literally too much information at time.

Cheers,  P.