Z50AYMSound and RomWBW and a SC126 DOWNLOAD.COM

Randall Crook

Aug 10, 2021, 4:39:10 PM8/10/21
to retro-comp
Fired up this card on my SC140, using the SC126 SCMon V1.0 configuration s6 and from the monitor was able to verify it was working. But i have a couple of Questions.

I was wanting to build a CP/M CF card up so I could use CP/M tools to play music on the sound card but con not find a DOWNLOAD.COM that will work with the SC140. Is there one around somewhere?

Secondly, can I use this card with RomWBW and if so where can I find some details on how?

Regards,

Randall Crook.

Steve Cousins

Aug 12, 2021, 5:48:36 AM8/12/21
to retro-comp
Hi Randall,

I don't think there is a DOWNLOAD.COM for Z180 based systems. However, you can run RomWBW which includes XMODEM. Details:

Steve

Wayne Warthen

Aug 12, 2021, 6:19:10 PM8/12/21
to retro-comp
On Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at 1:39:10 PM UTC-7 Randall Crook wrote:
Secondly, can I use this card with RomWBW and if so where can I find some details on how?

Hi Randall,

RomWBW includes an application called "TUNE".  It is found on the disk images in the RomWBW builds.  Additionally, you will find some sample tune files (.pt3 and .mym) in user area 3.  These are the hard disk and floppy disk images, not the ROM Disk.

The TUNE application has a table driven hardware detection routine that scans for known port addresses of sound cards like yours.  It looks like the standard port addresses for your sound card are the following:

Register Selection: $33
Data Out: $32
Data In: $32

Those addresses are not currently in the hardware detection table.  However, I would certainly like to add support for this card.  If you can confirm the addresses are correct, I will add them to the table and then the TUNE application should just work.

Note that you will need to use the "dev" branch of RomWBW to pick up changes at this point.

Thanks,

Wayne

Randall Crook

Aug 12, 2021, 8:34:46 PM8/12/21
to retro-comp
Hi Wayne,

Those are the correct IO port numbers, and when accessing the card from the monitor it seems to works OK.

I did have a play with the ay.asm, scz180.asm and sc140.asm but I'm not savvy enough to get the console beep to work. Though it does seem to init the card as I get a slight hiss on reboot.

Regards,

Randall Crook.

Wayne Warthen

Aug 13, 2021, 12:43:43 PM8/13/21
to retro-comp
On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 5:34:46 PM UTC-7 Randall Crook wrote:
Those are the correct IO port numbers, and when accessing the card from the monitor it seems to works OK.

Thanks for confirming the port numbers.  I will post support for this later today.

I did have a play with the ay.asm, scz180.asm and sc140.asm but I'm not savvy enough to get the console beep to work. Though it does seem to init the card as I get a slight hiss on reboot.

OK, well, let's see what happens with the code I post later today.  Unfortunately, I don't have one of these sound cards or even a Z50 system that I can test with.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Warthen

Aug 14, 2021, 5:38:15 PM8/14/21
to retro-comp
OK, I have checked in the changes to RomWBW (dev branch) to support the LiNC sound card.  This includes both the HBIOS driver as well as the TUNE application.

Since I don't have the hardware, please let me know if you get a chance to test this.

Thanks,

Wayne

Randall Crook

Aug 15, 2021, 2:16:28 AM8/15/21
to retro-comp
Works beautifully. Thank you very much.

Something to note for anyone else wanting to build the Z50AYMSound card, the Jumper J7 selects the CPU Clock divider, either CLK/2 or CLK/4. I should have figured this before, for the the SC140 which uses the Z180 @ 18 Mhz you need to select CLK/4 or it is not going to work.

Thanks again

Randall Crook.

Wayne Warthen

Aug 15, 2021, 7:30:33 PM8/15/21
to retro-comp
On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 11:16:28 PM UTC-7 Randall Crook wrote:
Works beautifully. Thank you very much.

Glad to hear it and thanks for letting me know.

-Wayne