Kaypro Power supply

Kurt Pieper

Nov 3, 2022, 1:00:01 PM11/3/22
to retro-comp
I'm looking for two schematics of the power supplies:
CALIFORNIA DC 60 0205 02 REV F P.F-B
and
1983 BOSCHERT INC ASSY 45-14603-0 REV 3 or 13?

Two Kaypro's 4/84 caused problems on Tuesday.

The capacitor of the CALIFORNIA power supply is renewed. Are already desoldered. Delivery is on the way. The computer should work again after installing the new capacitor. One could generally omit the capacitor, since it was built in for interference in the radio range.

The following problem occurs with the Boschert power supply unit: Computer works for a while and suddenly switches off the house network.
FI protection circuit becomes active.

SHORT C H L U S S.

The error must be in the Boschert power supply, as this power supply causes the same error in the other Kaypro. My suspicion falls on the interference capacitor (green component).

greeting
Kurt
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Kurt Pieper

Nov 3, 2022, 1:15:40 PM11/3/22
to retro-comp

jopil

Nov 4, 2022, 8:27:51 AM11/4/22
to retro-comp
Hello Kurt,
Take a look at this one. Is the BOSCHERT POWER SUPPLY Tech-Manual with full schematics.

John

Kurt Pieper

Nov 4, 2022, 9:31:26 AM11/4/22
to retro-comp
Hello John,

Thanks for the information.
i look at it

Greetings from the Rhine

Kurt

Kurt Pieper

Nov 5, 2022, 12:00:28 PM11/5/22
to retro-comp
Hi guys,

nice greetings from Germany.

See this link.
https://www.abebooks.de/9780801976261/Chiltons-Guide-Kaypro-Repair-Maintenance-080197626X/plp

Does anyone have this book or a PDF file?

greeting
Kurt

Mark T

Nov 5, 2022, 12:56:59 PM11/5/22
to retro-comp

Hi Kurt,

You might try asking in vintage Computers forum on vintage-radio.net

Mark

Kurt Pieper

Nov 5, 2022, 1:41:38 PM11/5/22
to retro-comp
Hello Mark.

Thank you for the info.

Kurt

jopil

Nov 7, 2022, 5:53:22 PM11/7/22
to retro-comp
Hello Kurt. Are you still looking for the "Chilton's Guide to Kaypro Repair and Maintenance"  book?
If yes, drop me a note to send you a link for downloading it.
Regards,
John

73VW

Nov 7, 2022, 7:05:29 PM11/7/22
to retro...@googlegroups.com

OMG, is there actually a thing? Would you mind sending me a link as well?

I'm just happy to be part of a conversation related to KayPros. I grew up with an 8088 KayPro PC and was a huge fan.

Message has been deleted

Kurt Pieper

Nov 10, 2022, 5:08:00 PM11/10/22
to retro-comp
Hi guys,

I am surprised that there are no circuit diagrams for the Kaypro computers from 1980 from Boschert and Califonia DC.

Has anyone scanned the plans?

That's a very important factor for the preservation of retro computers.
Yes, of course, I can install a Mean Well power supply. But then my kaypro messed up. It is important to me to have an original Kaypro 4/84.

I learned to program with Kaypro and it was and still is a great time.

Now soften up and hand out the circuit diagram for the Califonia dc power supply. I have the Mod# LR5301-15 and Ser# 159443.

greeting
Kurt

IOANNIS PILIOUNIS

Nov 10, 2022, 6:44:42 PM11/10/22
to retro...@googlegroups.com
Kurt, take a look at this
https://www.electronicsurplus.com/search/CALIFORNIA+DC

John.

P.S. Did you eventually manage to source the Chilton's
Guide for KAYPRO? If you still want it I can send you
the link to download it.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "retro-comp" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/retro-comp/eb4299bb-8795-4677-ba2a-cb756af2200dn%40googlegroups.com.

Kurt Pieper

Nov 11, 2022, 6:52:09 AM11/11/22
to retro-comp
Hi John,
thanks for the information.

I have the Chilton's PDF.
There is also no circuit diagram of the Colifornia dc power supply.
It's in the book. "You won't have any problems with this power supply for the rest of your life. Maybe with the on/off switch"
Humor from 1984. Grin...

Without the schematic it will be very difficult to repair the Colifornia dc power supply.

Again as a reminder. It is a power supply from 1984 for Kaypro computers.

The power supply has a short circuit on the circuit board. It clicks. Varistor prevents the 'bang'

During the test I use a PeakTech Trentrafo. The part is good for this use.

The Boschert power supply works again, since only the sturgeon capacitors were defective here.

The second Kaypro 4/84 works again.

I love the Kaypro's Here in the 80's a very good product was created in the USA.

Kurt

Mark T

Nov 11, 2022, 12:28:37 PM11/11/22
to retro-comp

Maybe the only way is to draw a schematic from tracing the connections on the pcb.

If its a switch mode power supply it might help to identify the main IC and find a datasheet.

I was able to fix a switch mode power supply in a samsung TV over ten years ago like this, replaced the schottky diode that had gone short circuit and the switch mode controller IC. That TV is still running ok.

Kurt Pieper

Nov 11, 2022, 7:19:11 PM11/11/22
to retro-comp
Hi,
thanks for your information.
Yes, I think that's the only solution at the moment.
I'm not sure I can do this.

Here is a picture of the power supply.

I soldered the suppression capacitors.

The rectifier, 1 large electrolytic capacitor, diode one contact.
All parts OK.

It will be a big task for me. I've been an electronics hobbyist since the 70's.

I2.Picture shows the Kaypro 4/84 with Gotek LW.

greeting
Kurt
BildC1.jpg
BildPT4.jpg

Kurt Pieper

Nov 18, 2022, 1:43:05 PM11/18/22
to retro-comp
Hi,
I converted the predicted Kaypro 4/84 with the Gotek LW with the MainWell RT 85B.

The California DC power supply is now my research object.

greeting
Kurt
Umbau2.jpg

Kurt Pieper

Nov 28, 2022, 3:39:29 AM11/28/22
to retro-comp
Hi,

if anyone has the wiring diagram of the califonia dc power supply then please provide info.

Here is the replacement net - not retro but it works very well.

Kurt
Einbauplatte1.jpg
Einbauplatte2.jpg