books on digital electronics

Alvaro García

Aug 18, 2021, 1:06:44 PMAug 18
to retro-comp

Hello

I would like to make a second question.

I have some programming experience, but, as I don't have any formal studies on computer science, y have many things to learn  8)

Perhaps any of you can recommend me some books on digital electronics, and specially, but not exclusively, some regarding 74xxxx logic chips
If they have examples to play with, I think it will be more didactic

Although I have read schematics, and bought books on 6502, Z80, and 68k processors, I need more background.
As you can see, nearly all my knowledge is self-taught, except for my past working experience as a programmer (not related to hardware)

Thanks for your attention,
Alvaro

Earth Person

Aug 18, 2021, 1:18:07 PMAug 18
to retro-comp
Greetings Alvaro,

If you haven't seen the Art of Electronics Student Manual / Lab Courses and The Art of Electronics 2nd/3rd editions those are quite helpful. I like the 2nd edition most as it goes through building a whole 68k computer with all the background. 3rd edition is good, too if you can find it.

Sincerely,

William Harrington

Alvaro García

Aug 18, 2021, 4:47:33 PMAug 18
to Earth Person, retro-comp
Thanks a lot!
Alvaro

TonyD

Aug 19, 2021, 4:28:23 AMAug 19
to retro-comp
Art of Electronics is a great book.

On my book shelve my favourites are

Art of Electronics - Horowitz and Hill
Build your own Z80 - Steve Ciarcia
The C Programing Language - Kernighan and Ritchie
Microprocessor Systems Design - Alan Clements (1st Ed 6809, 2nd Ed 68000)
68000 Microcomputer Systems - Alan Wilcox
Programming the Z80 (or 6502 or 6809 etc) - Rodnay Zaks
The Programming Guide to the Z80 Chip - Phillip Robinson
The Z80 Microcomputer Handbook - William Barden
Z80 Applications - James Coffron

Plus Data books from Zilog, SGS, TI, Motorola etc.

cheers
Tony

Alvaro García

Aug 19, 2021, 7:02:25 AMAug 19
to TonyD, retro-comp
Interesting.

Some of them, I have them. I would check your list and try to have them all.

Steve Ciarcia book has a crazy price at Amazon (second hand market), but later on I found that It can can be downloaded from the internet. I think It is on Google book database, so I supose It is a legal copy If It.

Thanks!
Álvaro

Todd Decker

Aug 19, 2021, 10:25:39 AMAug 19
to retro-comp
When I see answers like these, it just reconfirms that this is the right group for me.  These recommendations are perfect.  AoE is a classic and nice to see someone recommended the lab manual.  It is worth working through cover to cover.

While it is not a book, I would also highly recommend Ben Eater's YouTube series that builds a computer from the ground up (https://eater.net/8bit/).  It is based upon another excellent book, "Digital Computer Electronics" by Malvino and Brown but Ben brings it a bit more into the current world.

Matthew Barrick

Aug 19, 2021, 1:08:52 PMAug 19
to retro-comp
Yeah, that Steve Ciarcia book is apparently hard to get your hands. A lot of used book sellers on Amazon use an automated system for
setting the price. When there's not many copies floating around, they appear to up the price quite a bit. Remember to check your local
libraries! Most have lots of books on electronics. Maybe not have the latest ones, but they definitely have older ones.

-mjb