Source code for ROM Monitors

Tom Plano

Sep 8, 2021, 11:00:40 PMSep 8
to retro-comp

Ive been looking around for published source/assembly for popular monitor programs as I am looking to add a feature that I feel is lacking, namely register exporting and examination. That said I cant seem to find any source. The RomWRW monitor seems to be small and simple (ie a good starting point), but I cant find the code to add to it. The presence of the monitor app is only mentioned two or three times in the entire repo, as far as I can see.  I would really appreciate some pointers to monitor source, if they exist anywhere.

Tom

Wayne Warthen

Sep 8, 2021, 11:13:55 PMSep 8
to retro-comp
On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 8:00:40 PM UTC-7 tom.p...@gmail.com wrote:

Ive been looking around for published source/assembly for popular monitor programs as I am looking to add a feature that I feel is lacking, namely register exporting and examination. That said I cant seem to find any source. The RomWRW monitor seems to be small and simple (ie a good starting point), but I cant find the code to add to it. The presence of the monitor app is only mentioned two or three times in the entire repo, as far as I can see.  I would really appreciate some pointers to monitor source, if they exist anywhere.

The source for the monitor in RomWBW is in the file called dbgmon.asm.  Source for RomWBW is found in the GitHub repository at https://github.com/wwarthen/RomWBW.  The file I referenced is in the Source/HBIOS directory within the source tree.   I suggest you look at the dev branch because there have been some enhancements there.

-Wayne

Interocitor Steve

Sep 9, 2021, 10:36:24 AMSep 9
to retro-comp
Hi Tom,

Are you building a Remote Debugger?

Tom Plano

Sep 9, 2021, 11:55:13 AMSep 9
to retro-comp
Something like a remote debugger. The ultimate goal would be to package up some debug routines into independant hardware that can inject itself into a running system(think self loading driver) to emulate the memory mapped registers (and blinky lights) of the PDP computers.

Tom Plano

Sep 9, 2021, 12:13:36 PMSep 9
to retro-comp
After reading through the code on the dev branch, much if what I envisioned is already done, along with the tools for expanding the program. Thanks for the pointer.