CANDE FILE command, USER/CANDE program features?

rlhamil

May 27, 2017, 9:02:06 AM5/27/17
to retro-B5500

Anyone able to give me a short overview of the CANDE FILE command (so I can find the files that were loaded from the tape image, in particular the source for USER/CANDE program, assuming it's on there)?
The syntax diagrams from much more modern versions of MCP seem to be both tedious to decode, and worse, with the absence of many of the features in a much older version, would take a lot of trial and error to figure out for e.g. MCP XIII.

Alternatively, is there anything the USER/CANDE program can do aside from create new accounts (like list, modify, or delete existing accounts), and any instructions on how to do that?  I'm not opposed to reading the source (if I can find it), but it'd be quicker to just know what it can do and how.

thanks...

Paul Kimpel

May 28, 2017, 9:08:19 AM5/28/17
to retro-B5500
The B5500 CANDE FILES command can be found on page 4-19 of the TImeshare Terminal User Guide:

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/burroughs/B5000_5500_5700/1038205_B5500_TS_TerminalUG_Jun69.pdf

The source is named SYMBOL/CANDE. For Mark XIII, that's on the SYMBOL2 tape. Note that's just the command processor, though. A lot of the timesharing system is embedded in the MCP (SYMBOL/TSSMCP), and there are quite a few program that implement the bulk of specific commands (SYMBOL/LIST, SYMBOL/RESEQ, SYMBOL/FIND, etc.)

Trying to look at this stuff through the B5500 CANDE TTY interface is going to be tedious. If your intent is to dig into the source, let me know and I can make the sources available to you as ASCII text files.

Richard Hamilton

May 28, 2017, 9:37:58 AM5/28/17
to Paul Kimpel, retro-B5500
Thanks, I think that would be best; ancient CANDE may have been good for its time, but it's stiflingly limited now.

If there's a program that will extract the files from tape images, that would be good too (conversion to ASCIII and/or UTF-8 a plus).