CUBE tape at Computer History Museum

jhha...@earthlink.net

Mar 15, 2016, 10:55:17 PM3/15/16
to retro-B5500
The latest CORE magazine from CHM came out today, and says they have finished the project of
cataloging all their collection.  So I searched the catalog for Burroughs tape and it says they have
the CUBE tape which came from UCSC.  I thought I had given them several more tapes, but that
is the only one that came up.

Al Kossow

Mar 16, 2016, 12:51:25 AM3/16/16
to retro...@googlegroups.com
there are more. i'm not sure why they didn't get cataloged

Al Kossow

Mar 16, 2016, 12:52:02 AM3/16/16
to retro...@googlegroups.com
On 3/15/16 7:55 PM, jhha...@earthlink.net wrote:
> The latest CORE magazine from CHM came out today, and says they have
> finished the project of
> cataloging all their collection.

i'm guessing less than half of the software is cataloged.

Nigel Williams

Mar 17, 2016, 11:13:10 AM3/17/16
to retro-B5500
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 3:52:02 PM UTC+11, aek wrote:
i'm guessing less than half of the software is cataloged.

It would be great news to see some of the CUBE tapes recovered. I have fond hopes the Smalltalk for the B5500 will be found on one of the CUBE tapes.

John Covert

Apr 5, 2016, 1:47:48 AM4/5/16
to retro-B5500
What I'm hoping for is that we can obtain the GTL compiler.  With that, I would actually write some real code to do something useful.

String processing in Algol was not fun.  OK, stream procedures were fun, but dangerous.  At GaTech, there was an ACL which prevented most people from creating an object file with Stream Procedures compiled into it.  Same for the Communicate call on the TSSMCP.

/john