Newbie / Startup Question / CANDE Logon

Jeffrey Burgess

Mar 1, 2018, 4:25:14 PM3/1/18
to retro-B5500
Hi!

I just installed the emulator and think it's really wonderful.  I appreciate all the hard work that went into this.

I have a newbie question.  I apologize if I'm in the wrong place, but I'm still getting my bearing.

I followed the instructions up to the point of logging in on the "user Teletype".  I entered my username and password and get "BADCODE" as a result.

I did perform the step of making one user.  I've tried all combinations of blank password, full password, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

B5500 TIME SHARING - 01/00, STATION 02
ENTER USER CODE, PLEASE-JEFF~
AND YOUR PASSWORD
JEFF~@@@
 BADCODE
ENTER USER CODE, PLEASE-

PLEASE CALL BACK LATER

Paul Kimpel

Mar 1, 2018, 4:33:15 PM3/1/18
to retro-B5500
Jeff,

You are definitely in the right place. The BADCODE reply can come out for a number of reasons, but the main one is a bad usercode or password. It's possible that your USERS/CANDE file is not set up properly. Here's the deck I used to create mine (note there's no password):

?RUN USER/CANDE
?FILE LINE = LINE BACKUP
?DATA CARD
$NEW
$OPTIONS
NO CHARGE
$USER
"PAUL"
NAME
"USER ONE"
CHARGE
"IT"
?END

If this doesn't give you any ideas, please post your corresponding setup and we'll take a look at it.

Paul Kimpel

Jeffrey Burgess

Mar 5, 2018, 12:27:12 PM3/5/18
to retro-B5500
Thanks Paul.  Your card stack did the trick.

Jeff