[Apology for cross-postings]
IJCAI-15 Video Competition
CALL FOR VIDEOS
We are pleased to present the first call for videos to the upcoming
IJCAI 2015 Video Competition. In the spirit of earlier AI Video
Competitions, the intention is to provide researchers with a forum for
demonstrating how exciting and interesting Artificial Intelligence can
be. The results of the competition will be presented at the IJCAI 2015
conference (July 25–31,2015, in Buenos Aires, Argentina), where the
best videos will be revealed. All videos will also be made available
online. Key dates are as follows:
- Submission of videos: May 10, 2015
- Notification of acceptance and award nominations: June 8, 2015
- Final version due: June 21, 2015
Video Contents. A wide range of videos related to artificial
intelligence can be submitted to the competition, varying along a
number of distinct dimensions. The topic of a video might for example
be a general or specific area of AI, the work of a particular
researcher or group (yourselves or others), or a concrete application
that depends on one or several AI techniques and that may be based
entirely on software or partly on hardware. A video may concern work
with different levels of maturity, from introducing something new and
interesting, through describing known but ongoing research, to
summarizing a mature area or application and showing its impact on
society. The intended audience of a video can be students learning
about a topic in a classroom, researchers interested in learning more
about subfields outside their own, or the general public.
Specific Awards. In keeping with the above, several distinct awards
will be given. The following categories are envisioned, but may change
depending on the submissions received.
- Best long video (up to 5 minutes)
- Best short video (up to 1 minute)
- Best application video (demonstrating a particular use of AI)
- Most entertaining video (illustrating AI in an amusing or interesting way)
- Most educational video (for students learning about a topic)
- Most societally beneficial video (showing the public what AI can do
and does for them)
In all cases, keeping the viewer interested and engaged is essential.
The best videos of earlier AI video competitions have often achieved
this through the use of humor, background music, and movies /
animations. To ensure that the videos are comprehensible to a wide
audience, they must be narrated or subtitled in English.
Requirements. The following criteria must be satisfied by all
- The video must be relevant to the area of Artificial Intelligence.
- The video must be submitted in a widely supported encoding and
container format. For example, MPEG-2, Xvid or H.264 encoding in an
AVI or MKV container could be used. We reserve the right to recode
videos before placing them online.
- The authors must hold the copyright for all materials used, such as
music, video, sounds and images, or have explicit written permission
from the copyright holders to use and distribute this material.
- The video must not be offensive or advertise/promote commercial products.
Review Process. After the submission deadline, all submitted videos
satisfying the requirements stated above will be reviewed by the video
competition program committee (to be announced) according to the
- Excitement: How interesting and exciting is the actual technology,
research area, application, or other work being presented?
- Educational content: To what extent can other AI researchers,
students, or the general public can learn about artificial
intelligence from the video?
- Entertainment value: How entertaining and captivating is the video to watch?
- Presentation quality: How well is the video produced, what is the
quality of the narration and soundtrack, etc.?
The best videos will be nominated for awards, and the winners decided
by the committee will be revealed during IJCAI 2015.
Submissions. Detailed submission information will be provided in the
second call. Note that attending the IJCAI conference is not required.
For further information about participation in the competition, please
contact Jonas Kvarnström (jonas.kv...@liu.se
) or Juan-Antonio
Rodriguez Aguilar (j...@iiia.csic.es
Find IJCAI-15 on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ijcai15
Find IJCAI-15 on Weibo: http://weibo.com/5225989544
Follow IJCAI-15 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ijcai15