OData/GData

Manik Surtani

Sep 27, 2010, 11:03:34 AM9/27/10
to reststar...@googlegroups.com
A discussion Bill and I have been having offline.  Would be interested in others' thoughts too.

On 27 Sep 2010, at 14:40, Bill Burke wrote:

Well, what I expect from a REST interface is:

* Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity

* push towards a zero-footprint client.  Meaning, the need for a client library to interact with your service is a negative.

* "lightweight" interoperability

I'm not convinced OData fits with #1 or #2.  I'll reread.

On 9/26/10 7:21 AM, msur...@redhat.com wrote:
I need to study OData in more detail. At first glance it seems to work pretty well, I'll let you know about it's suitability for infinispan. I have heard some complaints that it isn't true REST though (REST fanbois pissed off about the use of query params), seems overly pedantic to me.

What's your take on Gdata? Any idea why on earth google decided to re-implement OData? Just NIH, or some valid reason?

And what are your thoughts around Microsoft being a steward to OData, and industry acceptance as a result?

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Sep 2010, at 05:05, Bill Burke<bbu...@redhat.com>  wrote:

Since REST-* caching doesn't exist, then yes I'd say OData render's it obsolete...

I don't know, you tell me, I have no idea what your REST interface does or its requirements.  Do you really need all the metadata defined by the OData protocol and all the wrapper formats it requires?

On 9/24/10 7:12 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
Hi Bill

Do you know much about OData, and Google's weird clone GData?  By the look of it, it renders Reststar-caching obsolete/irrelevant?  WDYT?

Cheers
Manik

--
Manik Surtani