Link relation values in Media type vs. DAP

Jan Stenberg

Apr 19, 2013, 4:16:15 AM4/19/13
to restinp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

At the bottom of page 103 you write that a DAP consists of three components:
- Media type
- Link relation values
- HTTP idioms

On the next page, in the Note, you write that a media type specification describes schemas, processing models, and link relation values for a representation format.

What's the difference between the link relation values specified in the DAP versus the media type?

Thanks,
Jan

Ian Robinson

Apr 19, 2013, 5:22:01 AM4/19/13
to restinp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan

No difference - link relations can be specified as part of a media type spec (e.g. Atom specifies several link relations, which are now registered in the Link Relations registry); but you can also specify them independently of any media type spec.

Kind regards

ian

Jan Stenberg

Apr 21, 2013, 3:39:04 AM4/21/13
to restinp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ian,

The keyword here for me is "independently". When I define the link-relations and http idioms in my DAP, I will get the same behaviour for both my media types, ending with xml and json respectively.
That's great :-)

Thanks,
Jan