extend atom:linkType to add information about the relation

DomreiRoam

Jun 6, 2013, 7:01:28 AM6/6/13
to restinp...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I would like to have your advice on the idea of extending the linkType from atom to add attributes that describe better the relation from one resource to another.

I've now a link between a person and his organisational unit a link, I would like to add to this link to optional attribute for start end date. Do you think it is a good practice or do you think there is another way to add information about relation?

Here the XSD fragment

  <xs:complexType name="temporalLinkType">
    <xs:complexContent>
      <xs:extension base="atom:linkType">
        <xs:attribute name="start" type="xs:date"/>
        <xs:attribute name="end" type="xs:date"/>
      </xs:extension>
    </xs:complexContent>
  </xs:complexType>

Thanks in advance!

Gael

Jim Webber

Jun 7, 2013, 3:29:23 AM6/7/13
to restinp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gael,

The upside to this, is that your links get richer. In fact they start to look like relationships in Neo4j!

The downside is that you're limiting reach since as a consumer I need to understand even more link semantics. This might well be fine, however, if you're in a closed context like a single organisation.

Jim