RESTFest UK is just a few days away!

mca

Jul 9, 2016, 11:45:18 AM7/9/16
to rest...@googlegroups.com

*** sent to both registered RESTFest UK attendees and the full RESTFest list ***

RESTFest Edinburgh is just a couple days away! Here's the latest update.

THE AGENDA IS YOURS
The agenda is shaping up nicely. We've got three full days of activity planned with you, our attendees at the heart of it all.
https://github.com/RESTFest/2016-Edinburgh/wiki/agenda

In typical RESTFest style, the agenda will continue to morph throughout this weekend and well into the event itself. Feel free to add/edit the agenda document as needed. We are all part of shaping RESTFest.

The main idea is to just show up ready to talk and listen. We'll have three days to get to know each other and share ideas. Feel free to add/edit the wiki in any /way you wish including adding things like "What the Heck is X and  Why are We Doing This?" etc.

If this is your first RESTFest, no problem. Shelby wrote up a nice "How to Participate" wiki page to cover the basics:
https://github.com/RESTFest/2016-Edinburgh/wiki/How-to-Participate

MIKE KELLY KEYNOTE
Our keynote this year is HAL creator, Mike Kelly. Mike is a humble, amazingly creative person who rarely takes time out from his work for events like RESTFest. We're happy to be hosting Mike next week in Edinburgh and looking forward to hearing his POV on APIs today and into the future. Check him out on the wiki:
https://github.com/RESTFest/2016-Edinburgh/wiki/Mike-Kelly

EXTENDED TALKS
We have two  Extended Talks on the agenda so far. One from Lorna Mitchell on Webhooks and one from Einar Host on using games to learn hypermedia. Every year we like to give attendees the chance to deliver an extended talk (30 mins or so) instead of just the usual 5in5. If you'd like to deliver an Extended talk, be sure to indicate that on your profile page and we'll work as many into the schedule as we can.

STACKDAY IS LOOKING GREAT
We've got a busy StackDay this year. Mike Amundsen will be offering his Hypermedia Client Tutorial -- this is an extended hands-on session on how to build client apps for hypermedia APIs. We also have a session from the Tyk.io team on using RPC on the Web and Cesare Pautasso's "RESTful Conversations"  session.  Friday StackDay is a chance for you to show off your favorite library, tools, etc. If you're enjoying a library, tool, language, etc. feel free to add it to this page.
https://github.com/RESTFest/2016-Edinburgh/wiki/StackDay

KEEP THOSE PEOPLE PAGES COMING
Almost two-thirds of our attendees have created/updated their People Page -- excellent! Please keep them coming. People Pages are the backbone of RESTFest -- they help us get to know each other and make connections. And that's an essential aspect of RESTFest.
https://github.com/RESTFest/2016-Edinburgh/wiki/speakers

Creating a People Page in the RESTFest Wiki only takes a few bits of information:
- Name
- Contact info (email, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Short Bio -- Just a sentence or two to help us get to know you.
- Talk Proposals -- at least one topic (title & description) to help us learn what you're passionate about.

You can layout your page any way you like. Check out some of the existing pages for ideas. Remember, at RESTFest *everyone talks and everyone listens*! That means we need to get to know you and your People Page is the best way to introduce yourself. Please update your People Page ASAP.

TWEETS ARE ROLLING IN!
As we all pack up and head to Edinburgh, now is the time for all good RESTFesters to tweet! Let your friends and followers know you're on your way and keep us posted throughout your journey using the @RESTFest handle and #RESTFest hashtag.  We will also cointinue sending out tweets thanking sponsors and recognizing participants and their talks. Check it out here:
https://twitter.com/restfest

BOARDGAMES NIGHT
No one has signed up to bring board games yet. Traditionally, Friday night is BoardGames Night at RESTFest. If you're new to games, no worries. If you'd rather do other things social, that's great, too. The goal is to spend time getting to know each other and any/all ideas are welcome. Bring your card games, tabletop games, anything you like and have some fun. If you plan to bring some games, add them to the Board Games page in the wiki.
https://github.com/RESTFest/2016-Edinburgh/wiki/BoardGames

HACKDAY UPDATE
The hackday this year is a wide open session. We have some suggested hack projects on the wiki page and are looking for more. Feel free to come ready to work on any project you have in mind. Add your project to the HackDay Landing Page and let's see what happens.
https://github.com/RESTFest/2016-Edinburgh/wiki/HackDay

Looking forward to seeing you in Edinburgh at RESTFest UK

The RESTFest Team:
- Ben Longden,
- Benjamin Young,
- Shelby Switzer,