MIME type for ReseourceSync change lists?

Graham Klyne

Jan 9, 2014, 8:42:42 AM1/9/14
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

A question just came up on the IETF applications mailing listr about a MIME type
for "a media type for transferring lists of URIs of resource that have
changed..."
(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg11159.html, et seq).

I just sent a response mentioning ResourceSync, but I notice there's no defined
MIME content type for change lists (etc.), which appears to be a requirement
(from subsequent discussions in that thread).

Is this an omission?

#g

Herbert van de Sompel

Jan 9, 2014, 9:33:15 AM1/9/14
to Graham Klyne, resour...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Graham Klyne <G...@ninebynine.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A question just came up on the IETF applications mailing listr about a MIME
> type for "a media type for transferring lists of URIs of resource that have
> changed..."
> (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg11159.html, et
> seq).

Thanks a lot for catching this!

> I just sent a response mentioning ResourceSync,

I don't see your response at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/threads.html#11179
. Looking at the thread, I think ResourceSync is definitely in scope.
Even though it's not JSON-based, which seems to be a must, nowadays.

> but I notice there's no
> defined MIME content type for change lists (etc.), which appears to be a
> requirement (from subsequent discussions in that thread).
>
> Is this an omission?

That question never came up actually. Allow me to break this down:

1. All ResourceSync documents are XML, mime type application/xml
2. All ResourceSync document comply to the same "profile", ie Sitemap
XML document formats.
3. The difference in semantics of the various documents is conveyed by
the top level rs:md element, e.g.:
=> Resource List: <rs:md capability="resourcelist" at="2013-01-03T09:00:00Z"/>
=> Change List: <rs:md capability="changelist"
from="2013-01-02T00:00:00Z" until="2013-01-03T00:00:00Z"/>

I could imagine trying to register application/resourcesync+xml. But I
doubt that an attempt to register e.g.
application/resourcesync+resourcelist+xml
application/resourcesync+changelist+xml would be met with a lot of
enthusiasm at IETF/IANA. But you would be a much better judge than me
in that realm.

Cheers

Herbert

> #g
> --
>
> --

Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/

==