Right Expression

Dr. Micah Altman

May 27, 2013, 7:00:50 PM5/27/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com

Hi Folks,

I found Richard Jones' blog post proving an example of ho OAI-PMH quite helpful -- I've used OAI-PMH in a several system to synchronize/federate/replicate collections of metadata and/or content, and its helpful to see a direct example of how an approach to OAI-PMH can be mapped on to ResourceSync.

One issue I'm wondering about -- and haven't seen explicitly discussed in the spec is "rights expressions". When creating our OAI-PMH specs we found it useful to be able to communicate rights-expressions over the metadata (typically CC-0 or CC-By) at the set-level; and have also found it necessary (though somewhat awkward in OAI-PMH) to declare rights over the collection resources linked from the set, separately from the rights to the metadata.

For example… its been useful to be able to express that (a) this set of stuff is a collection of dissertations; (b) each dissertation is accompanied by, at minimum,  DC metadata, available under CC-By; and (c) that the entire collection of dissertation objects is under CC-By-NC.

Within ResourceSync is there a recommended way of expressing rights over the resources listed as a whole and/or the metadata associated with those resources?

thanks,

Micah

Herbert van de Sompel

May 28, 2013, 2:36:04 PM5/28/13
to Dr. Micah Altman, resour...@googlegroups.com, Herbert van de Sompel
hi Micah,

This question has not come up yet, so I am going to do some brainstorming and hope my ResourceSync colleagues will contribute their thoughts:

1. Rights pertaining to individual resources, e.g. an individual PDF file, an individual metadata record, etc

The "linking to related resources" approach (see http://www.openarchives.org/rs/0.6/resourcesync#LinkRelRes) is the way to go here: link from the resource to the license. The IANA-registered "license" relation type looks like the way to go, see http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml

2. Rights pertaining to a set/collection of resources

In ResourceSync, there will be a Capability List per such "set of resources". The current version of the spec does not mention that yet, but version 0.9 will. As shown in Example 9.1 (http://www.openarchives.org/rs/0.6/resourcesync#ex_9_1) the Capability List has a recommended link (rs:ln child element of the urlset root) with a "describedby" relation type that points at a document that describes the "set of resources" covered by the Capability List. It seems to me that rights pertaining to the "set of resources" can be conveyed in that describing document, alongside other info pertaining to the set, e.g. descriptive metadata for it, number of items in the collection, etc.

I hope this helps.

Greetings

Herbert

Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/

==

Robert Sanderson

May 29, 2013, 11:51:10 AM5/29/13
to Herbert van de Sompel, Dr. Micah Altman, resour...@googlegroups.com

To clarify the first sentence of 2. a little (as I was confused for a moment!) ... there will be a Resource Set which has a Capability List.  The Resource Set identifies the set of resources, rather than the set of capabilities that the service provides.

Hope that helps :)

Rob

Simeon Warner

May 30, 2013, 2:08:43 PM5/30/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com
As I touched on in an earlier discussion, I'm interested in ways that we
might make direct statements about Resource Sets in addition to just
pointing to documents that describe them (with describedby). What would
it mean to include a <rs:ln rel="license" ...> link in the
CapabilityList? Something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9"
xmlns:rs="http://www.openarchives.org/rs/terms/">