Feedback ResourceSync presentation at WWW

Bernhard Haslhofer

May 28, 2013, 9:28:22 AM5/28/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

a bit more than a week ago I presented ResourceSync at the WWW conference. Here are my slides: http://www.slideshare.net/bhaslhofer/resourcesync-leveraging-sitemaps-for-resource-synchronization

The feedback was generally positive and the only two technical questions I received in my relatively short presentation slot were:

1.) How do we deal with dependent resources (e.g., HTML pages with linked images, css, etc.)?

2.) Is it possible to use ResourceSync with PubSubHubbub (https://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/)?

I think the answer to 1.) is that Web page synchronization is not our primary use case. However, a resync client could, of course, follow links and also fetch dependent resources.

My answer to 2.) was that an integration with Pubsubhubhub should be easily possible because it is just a matter of informing a hub whenever a new change list becomes available. Maybe we should briefly mention that in the document where we discuss ResourceSync push.

Best,
Bernhard

----
Bernhard Haslhofer
Postdoc Research Associate
University of Vienna
http://bernhardhaslhofer.info

Simeon Warner

May 30, 2013, 3:46:01 PM5/30/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com
On 5/28/13 9:28 AM, Bernhard Haslhofer wrote:
> a bit more than a week ago I presented ResourceSync at the WWW conference. Here are my slides: http://www.slideshare.net/bhaslhofer/resourcesync-leveraging-sitemaps-for-resource-synchronization
>
> The feedback was generally positive and the only two technical questions I received in my relatively short presentation slot were:
>
> 1.) How do we deal with dependent resources (e.g., HTML pages with linked images, css, etc.)?
> I think the answer to 1.) is that Web page synchronization is not our primary use case. However, a resync client could, of course, follow links and also fetch dependent resources.

My feeling is that if the dependent resources are not included in the
Resource Set (i.e. each have an entry in the Resource List) then dealing
with them is really out-of-scope for ResourceSync.

If they are included then we have the potential atomicity of updates
problem that has been discussed before (e.g. HTML page changes at same
time as included images change or different ones are included). Within
the current spec this can be adequately handled if the source ensures
that all updates are grouped in the same Change Set which seems
straightforward because presumably each resource would have the same (or
very close) modification times.

Cheers,
Simeon