ResourceSync 2013-01-09 draft comments - 4. Describing Resources

Simeon Warner

Jan 15, 2013, 4:13:23 PM1/15/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com
4. Describing Resources

'data' appears in both sentences here (and a few other places in the
document). I think we should be consistent and say "resources". One
might argue that while one keeps track of the "state of resources" one
actually copies "resource representations", but unless we are going to
be careful about that everywhere I would just stick with "resources":

"A Source may publish a description of its resources in order to allow
Destinations to keep track of the state of its resources. This
information enables a Destination to make an initial copy of some or all
of the resources, or to update a local copy to remain synchronized with
changes."

4.1 Resource List

Lots of sentences are separate paragraphs, I suggest combining some or
going to a bullet list when describing the hierarchy of elements.

4.2 Resource List Index

I think "grouping" is the wrong terminology for Sitemap index files --
they allow a large Sitemap to be split into manageable chunks.

I still feel we'd be better off with three terms instead of two for the
whole sitemap, the sitemap index, and the sitemap <urlset> files. Could
introduce a term like "Complete Resource List"
(=<sitemapindex>+<urlsets> or single <urlset>)?

"The <sitemap> elements below the root element..." I think should be
"The <sitemap> elements contained within the root element..."

Missing ", and" in first bullet describing example 4.2.

In text for example 4.3 the text mentions "non-indexed Resource List". I
know what you are trying to say but I think "non-indexed" is not the
right way to say a Resource List made up of one <urlset> with no
<sitemapindex>. I suggest change to "a single bitstream Resource List".

Caption of example 4.3: again I think "indexed" is misleading. I suggest
changing "An indexed Resource List with a navigational link" -> "A
Resource List with a navigation link to the containing Resource List Index"

Graham Klyne

Feb 1, 2013, 8:37:58 AM2/1/13
to Simeon Warner, resour...@googlegroups.com

On 15/01/2013 21:13, Simeon Warner wrote:
> 4.2 Resource List Index
>
> I think "grouping" is the wrong terminology for Sitemap index files -- they
> allow a large Sitemap to be split into manageable chunks.

"Segmenting"?

(Completely out of context - ignore at will)

#g