Write metadata into image file

Andreas Richter

Jun 24, 2021, 2:10:15 AM6/24/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

can RS also write user generated metadata directly into an image file before downloading the file?

Best,
Andreas

Mike Perry

Jun 24, 2021, 7:19:36 AM6/24/21
to ResourceSpace
To my knowledge RS can read embedded image metadata but cannot write metadata into an image.

Andreas Richter

Jun 24, 2021, 7:41:51 AM6/24/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike! I thought so, but was not sure. This would definitely be a great benefit.

--
ResourceSpace: Open Source Digital Asset Management
http://www.resourcespace.com

Mike Perry

Jun 24, 2021, 9:01:15 AM6/24/21
to ResourceSpace
I'm not sure RS wants the responsibility for ensuring original file integrity. I wouldn't!!

Andreas Richter

Jun 24, 2021, 9:16:29 AM6/24/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com
What I meant is writing metadata that describes the image and gives information about copyright holder, license etc. into the IPTC section of the file, which otherwise has to be done manually (which is not feasible for thousands of photographs).

This would certainly change the original file, but would this jeopardize the integrity of the file? Other tools like photo software can do this.
Maybe this could be realized with an additional plugin without making RS responsible for ensuring the file integrity ?

Mike Perry

Jun 24, 2021, 9:57:32 AM6/24/21
to ResourceSpace
I'm not real knowledgeable about the construction of image files. I tend to approach this type of thing very defensively, with a focus on potential downsides and unintended consequences (especially where technology is concerned!).

But that's just me. . .

Graeme Elliott

Jun 24, 2021, 4:09:24 PM6/24/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Ideally, you leverage EXIFTOOL, for example, in a plugin to write the data from the database into the DOWNLOAD version and never touch the original file.

Graeme Elliott

Jun 24, 2021, 4:12:30 PM6/24/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Ideally, you leverage EXIFTOOL, for example, in a plugin to write the metadata stored in the database (or entered into a download UI) into the DOWNLOAD version and don't modify the original file stored in RS.

ronnie....@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2021, 5:13:03 PM6/24/21
to ResourceSpace
You need EXIFTOOL installed on the server.

Search for "exif" in the config.default.php to find all concerning settings, copy those you want to change into config.php
There are many of them for very interesting tasks.

Basic settings are:
# If Exiftool path is set, write metadata to files upon download if possible.
$exiftool_write=true;
$force_exiftool_write_metadata = true;
$exiftool_write_option = true;

for special IPTC fields you might need to change/add more parameters...

If configured right, all informations edited in RS (and stored in the database) will be written into the images at download even if you download the "original" file through RS.

But all the "original" images and the preview sizes stored in filestore will stay untouched.

Andreas Richter

Jun 25, 2021, 1:37:47 AM6/25/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Great, this is exactly what I was looking for. This helps a lot.
Thank you.

dave

Jun 25, 2021, 3:08:01 PM6/25/21
to ResourceSpace
Anyone getting metadata written to audio files of any kind? I haven't been able to it to work regardless of the exiftool settings in config.php.