Re: How to edit config.php from cloud instance?

Message has been deleted

Mike Perry

Jan 24, 2021, 8:48:00 AM1/24/21
to ResourceSpace
The only way I know is to download the config.php file, make the needed changes and upload it. I don't know any way to edit config.php "live" on the server outside of ssh and pico, or something like that. I don't know how you can effectively administer an RS installation without ssh or ftp server access.

Perhaps you can get RS to activate online jobs, or advise you how to access the site files to edit them.

On Saturday, January 23, 2021 at 2:40:00 PM UTC-5 brigitt...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I've searched the help and this group and haven't found an answer for my question. I hope one of you can help me.

The short question is: How to edit the config file from the cloud instance?

Thank you!

 - Brigitte

P.S. The reason for my question (in case it helps you give a different answer)

In a past job I chose, set up, configured, and maintained RS for my employer. I was also a regular user. It's been about 3-4 years since I last worked there, but I have a personal project with a collaborator that I thought RS would be perfect for. I saw the free 100GB cloud space offer and thought this would be a good way to avoid punching a hole in my firewall, for now.

However, I'm concerned that I might spend hours and hours uploading and tagging my files, only to discover that I have more than 100GB of disk usage once all is said and done. (My files are smaller than this on local disk, but we're only just getting started). This is a personal project, and there's absolutely no way I could afford the monthly rates for the paid plans.

So, before I go too far down this rabbit hole, I wanted to be sure I could export all my data and transfer it on-prem if I need to in the future. (For example, if we run out of space.) I contacted the support team who are helping me onboard and they assured me this is possible and sent this KB article to read: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/admin/download-config

The article is useful, but I don't have the option `Export` on my Admin > System page. Perhaps this is because offline jobs aren't configured. (Hopefully that's the reason!). However, everything I read about how to turn on offline jobs is that it's something I need to do in the config.php file (or rather, that I need to copy from config.default.php to config.php and override there). If I had ssh access, that wouldn't be an issue. But I couldn't find ssh access to the cloud instances, and I don't know how to access the config file from the browser.

Thanks for reading!

Message has been deleted

Mike Perry

Jan 26, 2021, 8:09:53 AM1/26/21
to ResourceSpace
If I read correctly you are using the RS free program, right? If that's so they need to provide you with  you FTP access information/credentials. If they won't due to the nature of their program I don't see how you can get access to the config.php file.

Does RS provide host access information/credentials for the program??

On Monday, January 25, 2021 at 10:23:17 PM UTC-5 brigitt...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks Mike for the suggestion, I appreciate it. I have been working with RS folks on the question - and in their last response (today) they directed me here.

Is there a way to download files from the cloud instance and re-upload them? Does anyone know how to do this or if there is something that I've missed in the documentation that shows me how to do this? Or is there a way to gain ssh / scp/ ftp access to our cloud instances? I'll be honest, I tried hitting up a few ports for ssh and didn't get anywhere.

Thanks,

 - Brigitte
Message has been deleted

Mike Perry

Jan 27, 2021, 9:31:49 AM1/27/21
to ResourceSpace
It's not the software -- it's the limitations RS imposes on the free hosting package. Just sayin'. . .

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 9:17:36 AM UTC-5 brigitt...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm really disappointed to say that the RS team isn't willing to assist me further without payment for support. As of their latest email, they won't answer any other questions about how to update the config.php file, whether that be via ssh, ftp, scp, or through some web page on the admin console.

I guess it's off to find a different piece of software to meet my needs. Best wishes everyone.

mat...@kirkmans.net

Jan 27, 2021, 9:38:12 AM1/27/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com

Brigitte,

As Mike says, this is nothing to do with the Software. Why not just host it to start with on one of the introductory offers on cloud hosting providers ?

The Bitnami stack ( https://bitnami.com/stack/resourcespace  ) makes this simpler to spin up for RS than any of the alternatives.

I have tried most of the other options, and RS is the best out there offering a no cost option, and none of the other choices offer the option of a free hosted demo, so I think you are being harsh on RS.

Matthew

--
ResourceSpace: Open Source Digital Asset Management
http://www.resourcespace.com

Dan Huby

Jan 27, 2021, 10:17:34 AM1/27/21
to ResourceSpace
Hi there,

I thought it was worth giving my perspective as ResourceSpace project lead / Montala CEO.

I feel we're getting some unfounded criticism when really we're going 'above and beyond' - how many other open source projects offer free hosting of an instance of their software?

We don't allow editing of the config file on the free installation as it would be a major security risk. The config file is raw PHP and someone could write anything they like and who knows what we'd end up hosting - spam bots or worse!

We've been moving all the important config options out to System Setup over the past few years, so that in the majority of cases - certainly at the free/basic use end of the spectrum - you shouldn't need to dig down into the config file. It's highly technical and not user friendly anyway, unlike the easy System Setup area.

I hope that explains why we added that minor limit on the free hosting.

Another note on free support. We provide free hosting, and will help to a point with questions and configuration. We don't expect anything in return for that. But clearly a line has to be drawn otherwise we're effectively offering something just like our paid packages for free, and there's no business sense in that. Although we're 100% employee owned we do still have to make money to pay our salaries! I believe we go much further than other projects in terms of free support also. With most projects you ask for help from the community via forums, which is what this group is for - you're unlikely to get help direct from the core dev team on an ongoing and completely free basis in my experience.

We put a lot of effort into developing ResourceSpace at Montala, self-funding the majority of the work, and all of that is released completely free of charge to the community. So it does grate a little when we do all of this, and there's still a complaint because we didn't offer free unlimited support with that also. Fortunately we don't see that type of complaint very often and most people are grateful for our efforts.

Dan

Mike Perry

Jan 27, 2021, 11:25:42 AM1/27/21
to ResourceSpace
Preaching to the choir here, Dan. Makes perfect sense.

ResourceSpace may be an open source platform -- users need to understand that hosting is separate part of the puzzle.

Thanks for all you guys do for this segment. . .

Mike

atc...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2021, 11:30:01 AM1/27/21
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
It important to know that the comments of a few individuals who expect free software to come with free support simply do not represent the majority of individuals using ResourceSpace. There are a great number of people, myself included, who truly appreciate the model Dan and others within Montala have built.

Keep up the work you do! It is appreciated!

--
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
- Walt Disney

Dan Huby

Jan 27, 2021, 11:46:18 AM1/27/21
to ResourceSpace
Mike and Jerry - thanks guys - means a lot to us.

Mike Perry

Jan 27, 2021, 12:24:44 PM1/27/21
to ResourceSpace
Jerry -- like your sig.

I have a Disney mug on my desk with a picture of Walt and Mickey standing in front of an image of the Enchanted Castle with the quote "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Seth Gitner

May 24, 2023, 2:02:39 PM5/24/23
to ResourceSpace
I don't understand if you give access to load the free version on resource space, and I am paying for it through Bitnami and AWS can I change the disk usage beyond 10GB?  -s g

Mike Perry

May 24, 2023, 4:23:41 PM5/24/23
to ResourceSpace
You're paying Bitnami and AWS. You're not paying Montala or Resource Space. Bitnami and AWS can establish free installations on their hardware just as I or anyone else can. Your agreement with Bitnami/AWS dictates your storage and access.