Previewing Audio Files in RS

Joe Sikowitz

Jul 19, 2021, 5:04:24 PM7/19/21
to ResourceSpace
Hello folks,

I have my RS 9.6 instance up and running. I can upload and download mp4s, but I was under the impression that I could listen to or watch them within RS, at least as a preview. Currently, I don't even see that as an option in the GUI interface. Is there something that I need to do in the config.php file or somewhere else to make this happen? I may be missing something obvious, but I'm new to this software.

Thanks!
Joe

Joe Sikowitz

Jul 20, 2021, 1:25:38 PM7/20/21
to ResourceSpace
I ended up figuring this out through trial and error, but I figured I'd put the settings that I used here for posterity. In include/config.php the following allowed me to preview mp4s:

$ffmpeg_audio_extensions = array('mp4');
$ffmpeg_supported_extensions = array('mp4');
$ffmpeg_audio_params = "-acodec libmp3lame -ab 64k -ac 1";

I also added:

$ffmpeg_preview = true;

I assume this is necessary, but it wasn't included in config.php by default. In addition to these config options I removed the "-strict -2" setting in $ffmpeg_preview_option. I looked through the ffmpeg documentation and could not find it so I'm not sure if this is vestigial or if I missed it, but my setup seems to work now.

Is there a better place to look for configuration settings than the "knowledgebase?" It has good general information, but doesn't go into depth at the level that I would like.

Thanks,
Joe