1.0 interface is awful

TheRealFaziri .

Sep 13, 2013, 10:44:53 AM9/13/13
to requestpol...@googlegroups.com
With all due respect to Justin's efforts, the new interface feels like a failed experiment to me.

Main problems (old vs new):
  • theme compliance vs no theme compliance whatsoever
    - Looks awful and integrates badly, what do we have themes for? Also doesn't help readability with colored text on a white background.
  • native interface elements vs some sort of patched-in webpage thing
    - Programs that do not follow the look&feel of their surroundings feel like a knife in one's eyes, especially if it's done in such a way that it doesn't even look like a menu at all but a popup of some sorts while acting like a menu.
  • clear structure vs lack of layout
    - Stuff has been put both next to each other and below each other simultaneously instead of being put in subdivisions: it's very confusing, wastes screen space and gives a bad overview. The dropdown has also been made a wide table instead of a tall list, the latter being how a dropdown is supposed to look.
  • professional menus vs dumbed-down pile
    - 0.5 kept 3 separate lists for the 3 types of whitelistings, had a clear choice between 3 levels of same-domain matching, etc.

Please, Justin, bring back the 0.5 menu style! It was perfect in every way! Who cares if it looks the same as NoScript, it's only logical that the best solution is used the most.

TheRealFaziri .

Sep 13, 2013, 10:48:49 AM9/13/13
to requestpol...@googlegroups.com
With "patched-in webpage thing", I'm mainly referring to the central whitelisting menu, the one you get when you click the toolbar icon. It looks like a floating iframe or something, hence why I call it a patched-in webpage thing, even if that isn't what it is.