mUVe 1 Open Source Resin Printer

Dean Piper

Apr 1, 2013, 4:49:40 PM4/1/13
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
All,

Some of you here have already worked with me in the past or know me personally, but for those that haven't my name is Dean Piper and I reside in Grand Rapids. I started designing a laser based UV resin 3D printer a few months ago and am now up and running with a prototype and an IndieGoGo campaign. I've been using the printer for some time now and I can definitely say that it's been a great experience. Anyone out there wanting to get in early should look at the campaign.

Please ask as many questions as you'd like. I'll do my best to respond to everyone. I really believe in open source ideas and I hope that you all like my work. I think this one has real potential.

Dean Piper
mUVe 3D LLC

B Gray

Apr 1, 2013, 6:19:49 PM4/1/13
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
awesome work. good luck on your campaign
I noticed your laser is a 20mw 405nm
I have one that I bought to put on my cupcake years ago that is a 780nm 290mw
Do you think that laser would work?

Dean Piper

Apr 1, 2013, 6:44:22 PM4/1/13
to reprap-michigan
Thank you! I appreciate it very much. The laser wavelength is the most important factor and this particular resin has a photo-initiator at 420nm and 405nm is close enough. There is another somewhere in there but I'd have to contact Solarez to find out what it was, I do think it was in the ~700 range though! There are many many resins out there, I'm sure we could find one that had a ~780nm photo-initiator. We could always test! I love testing, you never really know until you try. I am a little concerned about the 290mW power level though, it may actually set the resin on fire if it creates too much heat. In my testing I started with a 150mW 405nm laser but found it to be much too powerful. I could cure an inch into the resin instantly! That being said, there is always TTL laser control to manage the power. I haven't gotten to that level yet but want to get machine acceleration profiles worked out so it can increase the laser power according to its speed. Then it doesn't matter if you go slow or fast, the laser is always where it needs to be. Laser cutters often incorporate this method.

-Dean

Daniel Grauwickel

Apr 2, 2013, 4:08:20 PM4/2/13
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
If there is anything I can help with LMK.... btw I want!!!!!

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Dean Piper <dean....@gmail.com> wrote:

Dean Piper

Apr 3, 2013, 11:25:43 AM4/3/13
to reprap-michigan
Thanks Daniel! I should have kits ready soon, having a good campaign will help that :) If you are interested in one sooner than that we can probably work it out. I have a company already and have ordering for all the parts worked out so it's really just a matter of placing the order.

If you or anyone has any ideas or can lend a hand with spreading the word I'd greatly appreciate it! I have been doing my best to get the information in front of people but it's been hard. I have submitted myself to every news outlet I can imagine and basically am waiting on someone to pick it up. I posted to several forums as well, but there are definitely a million ways to promote yourself and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Thank you for the support!

kwixson

Apr 3, 2013, 4:56:26 PM4/3/13
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
Dean, will you come to our meeting here in Kalamazoo on the 13th and tell us about it? Bring your printer for a demo?

-Kevin

Dean Piper

Apr 4, 2013, 8:34:00 AM4/4/13
to reprap-michigan
Kevin,

Possibly but that is the day after I am set to receive my laser cutter. I am working on a nearly non-stop schedule morning to night right now to keep the campaign and my work progress going forward. Once that cutter arrives I have to quickly get it together and working so I can get the case cut and the images up for the campaigners. The campaign ends on the 14th.

It seems as if you are doing meetings more frequently lately. Is it possible there is another coming up in the next month or so? That would at least give me time to prepare so I could bring a printer and do a demo. Right now the machine is a mess again because I'm testing motor, pulley, and belt combinations. And of course, there is no case.

-Dean

kwixson

Apr 15, 2013, 1:06:55 AM4/15/13
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
Dean,

We are moving to a once a month schedule, plus we're starting to do "camps," which will be weekend long build events or hack-a-thons. The first one will be "3D Camp" and have two tracks, a hardware/hacking track and a 3D modeling track.

So, by all means stay tuned for details about the next meeting and we'd love to see you there. I see your campaign was successful! So great! Keep up the awesome.

-Kevin

kwixson

May 24, 2013, 2:35:57 PM5/24/13
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
Dean,

Just wanted to make sure you got my email about Maker Weekend: 3D I sent you this past week.