Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum Workshop (and hello)

Matthew Robertson

Oct 16, 2014, 5:13:57 PM10/16/14
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
Since this is my first post to this group, let me say hello.  I know of your group since I am several year running annual member at Makerworks in Ann Arbor, so I occasionally run into the meetings there.

I am currently working with a professor from the University of Michigan who is organizing a workshop for children and families, to teach and demonstrate basic concepts of Additive Manufacturing at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum.  The date of the workshop is set for February 19, 2015, so at the moment we are just in the initial planning stage.  So far we do plan to purchase a few small scale printers of a similar type and price to Makerbot/Cube/Flashforge for kids to print small take-home parts/toys.

We also want to have a few more complicated parts printing on other machines, ideally on different types of 3D printers - plaster, SLA/SLS type, or another FDM ABS plastic machine.  This is where I am looking for a little help.  I've seen larger printers at places like the Detroit Maker Faire, making large scale vases or sculptures that are quite impressive.  Additionally, I've seen a variety of printers with non-orthogonal axis controlling a print head that still use ABS filament or likewise, but have a totally different form factor compared to other Off The Shelf machines.  I'm wondering if anyone in this group would like to be a part of our workshop, in the form of demo-ing your machines at the Hands-On Museum as part of the event.  As I mentioned we're interested in showing off what can be done with 3D printing, as well as the different forms these printers can take, so if you have a unique machine (I think most RepRaps are unique by nature) I'd love to talk with you.

I will try to visit the next meeting at Makerworks to meet some of you in person, but I'd also like to just get an idea of who might like to be a part of this.  It's a few hour event and should be mostly fun and educational.  Hope to meet you soon, and thanks!

~Matt

Kevin Wixson

Oct 17, 2014, 9:46:03 PM10/17/14
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

Contact SeeMeCNC. They have one of those big printers...perhaps the very one you saw.

Ask for John "Oly" Olafson or Steve Wygant

They're in Goshen, Indiana, but they're keen to travel sometimes.

-Kevin

Kevin Wixson
269-352-4416
www.wixsonit.com
www.facebook.com/kwixson
www.twitter.com/kwixson

Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged. The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from any computer.

Matthew Robertson

Oct 20, 2014, 1:12:35 PM10/20/14
to reprap-...@googlegroups.com, ke...@wixsonit.com
Thanks a lot for the replies! I have a few votes to contact SeeMeCNC, and you may be right that I've met them before but couldn't be sure if it was them.  I'll drop them a note.