Strange Error Package failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)

Daniel Shane

Nov 2, 2012, 8:48:55 AM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
All has been working fine for the last 4 months.  Updated Reposado to the latest version to fix the 10.8.2 Combo updater last week.

Noticed today that I was not getting new items I have added like Safari 6.0.2 and iTunes 10.7.  Tried Command Line and get Package failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)

Looking this up and its a file not found error.  Checked the Apache logs on the Repo server ant it reports ;-

File does not exist: /Volumes/Server HD/reposado/html/content/downloads/49/35/041-7713/t49dtaa9fm75mpimxl040kvlkjzwg2ah55/Aperture3.4.2Update.pkg/content/downloads/49/35/041-7713/t49dtaa9fm75mpimxl040kvlkjzwg2ah55/Aperture3.4.2Update.pkg

Notice that it is repeating the the path twice so the file wont be found.

Checked the sucatalog file and it's correct.

/content/downloads/49/35/041-7713/t49dtaa9fm75mpimxl040kvlkjzwg2ah55/Aperture3.4.2Update.pkg

This happens on all of my 10.7 and 10.8 clients but not on 10.6 !

Any Ideas ?

Dan

Daniel Shane

Nov 2, 2012, 9:05:13 AM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
I have double checked and it's my 10.8.2 clients doing this ?

Daniel Shane

Nov 2, 2012, 10:13:37 AM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
I also happens when I point my client to Apple's SUS.  Is the app on the client broken ?

Gregory Neagle

Nov 2, 2012, 11:35:18 AM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like something might be broken on Apple's end. I have no Aperture installs, so I have no way to replicate your issue. Reposado did successfully replicate the Safari 6.0.2 update and offered it to my 10.8.2 machine.

-Greg

Daniel Shane

Nov 2, 2012, 11:46:38 AM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,  where you able to download the Safari 6.0.2 Update ?

softwareupdate -d -a

Do you get any errors ?

Dan

Gregory Neagle

Nov 2, 2012, 11:53:17 AM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
The Safari 6.0.2 update worked fine, as I said in my earlier reply.

-Greg

Greg Neagle

Nov 2, 2012, 12:10:59 PM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Working OK here:

# softwareupdate -l --CatalogURL http://su.foo.com/index_testing.sucatalog
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2010 Apple

Software Update found the following new or updated software:
   * Safari6.0.2Mountain-6.0.2
Safari (6.0.2), 45861K [recommended]

# softwareupdate -da --CatalogURL http://su.foo.com/index_testing.sucatalog
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2010 Apple

Done.
Packages have been saved to /Library/Updates

We've been seeing lots of problems with certain Akamai replicas the past few days, which might explain why the issue is not universal. Are there any errors/messages when running repo_sync?

-Greg

On Nov 2, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Andrina Kelly <and...@magpies.ca> wrote:

I'm running into the same issue with 041-8081.

Shows as available to clients, but softwareupdate gives me:

Downloading Safari
   Zero KB of 47 MB
Package failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)

Manually downloading the package with Safari or curl works just fine though...

Not sure what software update is doing differently and freaking out on....

Daniel Shane

Nov 2, 2012, 12:15:08 PM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
No errors from repo_sync on my master server.

However I have cascaded repo servers and they are trying to get the same url in a url links as my clients.

Also ssh'ed into my home mac that is running 10.8.2 and never been near my SUS and that is getting the same errors from Apple.

Strange !

Andrina Kelly

Nov 2, 2012, 12:36:59 PM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
reposync throws no errors, and a manual grab of the pkg from the repo is fine...

same softwareupdate command as you're running and I'm still getting the package failed...

So, for kicks and giggles, I tried purging the product and re-syncing...

First time I treid softwareupdate again I got:
Downloading Safari
   Zero KB of 47 MB
   22.9 MB of 47 MB
Verifying Safari
Package failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (SUSessionErrorDomain error 3.)

second time went back to the same -3001 error as before...

Greg Neagle

Nov 2, 2012, 12:59:08 PM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 2, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Andrina Kelly <and...@magpies.ca> wrote:

reposync throws no errors, and a manual grab of the pkg from the repo is fine...

same softwareupdate command as you're running and I'm still getting the package failed...

So, for kicks and giggles, I tried purging the product and re-syncing...

First time I treid softwareupdate again I got:
Downloading Safari
   Zero KB of 47 MB
   22.9 MB of 47 MB
Verifying Safari
Package failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. (SUSessionErrorDomain error 3.)

The SoftwareUpdate.framework is in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks, so it's unlikely we'll get an official description of that error.

second time went back to the same -3001 error as before...

NSURLErrorCannotOpenFile = -3001

NSURLErrorCannotOpenFile
Returned when NSURLDownload was unable to open the downloaded file on disk.

tackyy

Nov 2, 2012, 1:58:20 PM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Ohhh…. I wonder if those Akamai replicas are on the US east coast, or get their data from nodes on US east coast.

tack

Joe Wollard

Nov 2, 2012, 2:00:52 PM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com, repo...@googlegroups.com
Possibly, but I'm on the east coast and I'm not seeing the issue at the moment.

---
Joe Wollard

Kostas Backas-Gmail

Nov 2, 2012, 7:15:41 PM11/2/12
to repo...@googlegroups.com
So? Is this an Apple sync error or a local one?

Best

Kostas