Continuing David Zarembka’s Legacy: From Tommy and Joy Zarembka

David Zarembka

Nov 29, 2021, 7:56:23 PM11/29/21
to Reports from Kenya

We are sending this email out using our father, David Zarembka’s email so you recognize the source. Going forward, please expect to receive an email from Motopozar. Motopozar -- meaning “fire” in Swahili and Polish -- is the name of the nonprofit we are establishing in his honor to carry his torch of justice and healing forward.

+++

Our father, David Zarembka, believed the world could change for the better when a person actively participates in that transformation. His life was a testament to this belief.

We share fond childhood memories of attending business meetings as our parents formed a food cooperative in Pittsburgh or marched against Apartehid in New York City. Dad rebuilt burnt churches in the South and protested in countless war tax demonstrations.  And on many evenings throughout our adulthood, we would all gather together and stuff over 5,000 envelopes for an African Great Lakes Initiative fundraiser.

His and Gladys’ sudden death from COVID deeply shocked us. Yet we find comfort that he died in a place he loved, supporting work for which he deeply cared.

In previous years, this email would have been written by our father asking for your support of these amazing organizations on Giving Tuesday. Life has a way of changing the script and sometimes the authors.

While our pens might not be as mighty, we humbly ask that you make a tax deductible contribution to one (or all) of these organizations on Giving Tuesday (November 30, 2021). We hope to continue to find ways to further honor his legacy and allow the incredible work to continue to flourish.

Our goal is to raise $65,000 to support these organizations:

For Transforming Community for Social Change (TCSC), click on goto.gg/31755

For the Friends Women’s Association (FWA), click on goto.gg/31891

          To support Helping Girls and Young Women in Bujumbura Slum, click on goto.gg/38276

          To support Building FWA’s Maternity Ward, click on goto.gg/32980

For Innovations in Peacemaking – Burundi (IPB), click on goto.gg/49443

For HROC Center in Rwanda, click on goto.gg/44648

We thank you for your consideration.

Additionally, we are working with Quaker Kenyans to establish the “Gladys Kamonya - David Zarembka Peace Center” in Kenya. We will keep you posted on our progress.

Dad might not physically be with us but his spirit lives on - in the work, in the community and in our hearts. Thank you for all you do!

Love,

Tommy and Joy Zarembka