A Wikileaks for rural Appalachia

Tyler Dukes

Jan 12, 2012, 12:27:17 PM1/12/12
to report...@googlegroups.com
Planning on writing something up about this I think, but wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Honest Appalachia, a newly launched whistleblower site targeted at the rural mountains of West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina. It's funded with a $5,000 grant from Sunlight Labs. Here's some additional background from WUNC:
The Honest Appalachia team says it will verify the authenticity of all documents, and work with local journalists to publish important material. The site is built on open-source software, and its creators hope others will replicate it.
Similar projects from The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times didn't really take off, but do you think this could succeed where they failed?

jhibbets

Jan 17, 2012, 11:45:12 AM1/17/12
to Reporters' Lab Forum
Hi Tyler,

If you happen to investigate this futher, we might be interested in
the open source beyond technology twist of the story...also we'd be
interseted in the tool they're developing (for opensource.com).

I don't know much about it other than it soundes interesting.
Jason

On Jan 12, 12:27 pm, Tyler Dukes <tyler.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Planning on writing something up about this I think, but wanted to get
> everyone's thoughts on Honest Appalachia <https://honestappalachia.org/>, a
> newly launched whistleblower site targeted at the rural mountains of West
> Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and North
> Carolina. It's funded with a $5,000 grant from Sunlight Labs. Here's some
> additional background from WUNC<http://wunc.org/programs/news/archive/TJT011112.mp3/view>
> :
>
> The Honest Appalachia team says it will verify the authenticity of all
> documents, and work with local journalists to publish important material.
> The site is built on open-source software, and its creators hope others
> will replicate it.
>
> Similar projects from The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times didn't
> really take off<http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2011/10/26/wsj-nyt-wikileak...>,

Tyler Dukes

Jan 17, 2012, 11:53:30 AM1/17/12
to report...@googlegroups.com
Will do. It looks like they've posted the code for their site and upload tech on GitHub here:

https://github.com/handsomeransoms

I'll share any additional details that might be interesting.