Open-source mapping library from ProPublica

Tyler Dukes

Feb 13, 2012, 5:45:46 PM2/13/12
to report...@googlegroups.com
I know some of you on the list have done a lot of work with mapping, so I thought you may find this useful: The developers at ProPublica decided to open source their mapping framework, Simple Tiles, today. From their Github:

Simple Tiles is an image generation library for spatial data written in C. At it's core it is a thin wrapper on top of OGR for spatial data and Cairo for image generation.

For the most part, it looks like their applications are mostly on the publication side, but I wonder if there are any applications for this to build a knowledge base inside a newsroom to help find and/or make sense of stories based on geographic data.

Either way, feel free to share if you end up incorporating Simple Tiles into any of your projects.